Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake - first time on the ice
Picked up lavaman and headed up to Bear Lake this morning. Got there later than we wanted, but that's alright. I caught my first lake trout through the ice, as well as a decent cutthroat. The lake trout was 23 inches - didn't get a weight. The cutthroat was 19 inches. Both are still in the lake swimming around. No other fish, but I did see a decent amount of fish chatter on the finder throughout the day.
[signature]
nice fish ben me and the boy have been up there three times this year and have only landed one cutt that lake is awesome but can be tough great job man!
[signature]
Nice J and good lookin fish. That laker looks like it has been caught a couple times before, either that or its got a hairlip. I was hoping to meet up with you guys today but dang work reared its ugly head once again. I should be there tomorrow and sunday if I can get the K pass.
[signature]
Thanks - to Moon cricket too.

I'll be up there again tomorrow with some other guys. Lavaman might make it out again too. Not sure where we will be. Hopefully we all (yourself included) can get in to some more. [cool]
[signature]
I'm glad someone else on the lake is whacking them. Nice Fish
[signature]
I'm in. My boy's on board. We'll head out to the rock pile area from the rest stop. Not sure how early we'll make it, but leaning for at least a dawn departure. Wouldn't mind hitting ice at sun-up.

How was the snow on the lake? Expect by now - just find a snowmobile track...

So used those same little ice rods eh? I got bigger backbone plans in the works. Wonder if I should bother with the tent.
Couldn't afford the day off, but did snaggle some ice time - quick run over to Hyrum, and set into a decent Brown.

[inline "CS 17 Brown.jpg"]

all I can say is - I needed that!
Can't make it out again tomorrow...but I'm wanting to hit BL again early next week. Gotta get my fix before that ice melts.
[signature]
Yote, I've been trying to get in touch with you!!! Message me or something!!
[signature]
Congrats Ben, sounds like you are making the rounds this year. Are you hitting all the lake you haven't fished because it is you last year here?

Wiperslayer and I hit big blue today as well, I caught a 21 and a 22 inch cutt and a 24 inch mack and lost a mack at the hole that was around 10lbs. Ira caught a couple as well but I did not get a pic of them. Good luck tomorrow, hope you catch the big one.
[signature]
Quote: Are you hitting all the lake you haven't fished because it is you last year here?

Not all, but I've had more opportunities this year. I will miss the ice fishing, but I'll find something to make up for it. [Tongue]
[signature]
Bear Lake is a mystical place. Once you have a taste it's hard to want to fish anywhere else for trout. Special place for sure. I'd rather ice fish there than anywhere else. May not be the best fishing but definitely the most fun.
[signature]
Beautiful fish in this thread, all around. Congrats to everyone.

Man, those BL cutts look plump and tasty.
[signature]
Great fish and pics. Congrats. First time I fished the bear on Ice. I fished it yesterday for 6 hrs. and didn't get a bite. The east side. near 1st point.
Might go up in the morning I could use a little help on where to go if anyone wants to tell me there secret honey hole. LOL
Rutnbuck
[signature]
Hey Curt I was up to Bear lake yesterday also. We met up with Mark Ramsey and Rich Jones and some friends of my son. We caught a couple , but can't say it was a banner day. Looking forward to getting up there agin before it goes bad.
[signature]
What area were you fishing? We were fishing at the spot were Rich and I meet years ago by the State park marina. Too bad the catching was so slow for you guys but that's bear lake, some time you hit it and it treats you good, other times, not so good. Mark and I were talking about getting up there as well but Ira had another friend come along, so we had all we could take in his truck. This warm weather could put an end to the ice up there real quik, so I'd be surprised if it holds on for long.,
[signature]
We were fishing at the end of the Rockpile , just a little North. We were in about 76 ft of water, and then moved around some. We got several in our group Just one for me. I want to get up there again.
[signature]
We were also on the rock pile yesterday. Pretty slow. Only one fish in our group.
[signature]
I think it was the cloud cover , that made it so slow.
[signature]
FWIW - full on sunshine don't necessarily mean nothing neither!

Caught up with Bamaboy, and we got lots for looks, and nothing for bites. Doesn't mean I ain't gonna try it again, while there still is ice. It's solid now - good 8-12 of real ice - maybe an inch or two of frozen snow.
We fished from 60-75 ft.

Maybe I need to put more garlic on them cisco! Beautiful day out, I'll say! Calm, sunny, clear. Maybe I'll run up again tomorrow.... [Wink]
[Wink] I was there also that day. Fished for a while near Rich, but did not get the skunk off until I moved around the corner further south. Possibly going back over tomorrow with Rich.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?&do=forum_view&forum=25"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?&do=forum_view&forum=25[/url]
Cooked up some good Bear Lake fish tonight. Delish. Back to catch and release.
[signature]