Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan River morning break
The gov is currently cutting down a lot of the trees and cleaning up all the dead fall, concrete and brush piles out of the logan behind my work, I thought I'd better get to my favorite hole before they drive the track hoe through it. Not bad for the third cast. It's amazing that the environmentalists aren't down here picketing. They've pulled a ton of wood out of there and this is just from about a 100 yd stretch! Hope it leads to improvement.[inline IMG_4381.jpg][inline IMG_0475.jpg][inline IMG_0404.jpg][inline IMG_3777.jpg]
[inline IMG_1268.jpg]
[signature]
I love that river. I fished it alot while going to school. I hope they are improving things and not clearing out the brush for other building projects. Keep us posted.

humpy
[signature]
Thats a shame that they are destroying your spot. Well looks like when one place is ruine we just find something better.

Amazing colors on that brown.
[signature]
It might improve the fishing in the long run. I used to like fishing the Logan through town.
[signature]
Do you know the reason they're doing that? Those nice browns aren't going to have anywhere to hide if they clear all the cover out. That's a pretty brown you have there btw.
[signature]
The city flipped the bill, it's to prevent more flooding!

The trackhoe has allready been in a few good holes!!

This is right off 600 west
[signature]
Dang, I had no idea it was so deep in some of those holes! Well a least they have a good reason and it's not for another strip mall or more apartments.
[signature]
Love it - thanks for posting that. I drove past that day, and wanted to stop and snap a shot, but a few 'workers' were standing on the bridge surveying the situation, and somehow - I figgered if I stopped for a pic, the next thing on the Utah Regs would be "no photographing farm animals, or farm, or earth moving equipment".

That was quite a scene. That same location last spring was a veritable flood zone - scenes of a local Niagra Falls. (shoulda snapped more pix, looked pretty cool actually) and that walk behind Proform along the river actually has some nice holes, if you aren't afraid of snagging some (LOTS) of wood.
Nabbed a few spring browns out that way. There were some big-ass carp pooled up under that bridge.

They've done a bunch of "improvements" for drainage, and some of the culverts under the roadway. Seems now they've tackled the overall flow of the river, and much of the overgrown brush. Been a bunch of mud and muck in the process (way down stream too) but - I don't think the fish will have a problem bouncing back and finding new holes to frequent.
I might end up looking at a piece of the Logan all my own. See what comes. Anyone up for a zip-line from the deck to the BBQ?

Been busting some spots along the Blacksmith, and hooking up a few browns. Fun for a quick stop on the way home.
I think they are extending the river trail system as part of it as well as the flood prevention.
[signature]
I'll bet you're right on that trail, but that won't help the pressure there, but I'm sure it will help the spring floods. That spot has been a real log jam for flow. Maybe this will help the road closures. Hope we get enough snow to try it out this spring. By-the-way that was a nice brown, be a fun work break. Later J
[signature]
I feel your pain. I recently lost a "park river" here in SLC to a track hoe after they filled my favorite hole with boulders. [frown]
[signature]
They are cleaning it out mainly for flood purposes, once they get the lumber and concrete out, they are going to come back later in the summer and line the edges with boulders, and I think drop some into the river as well. They are going all the way from I believe Icon to the mouth of the canyon. Further up river they are going to extend the waling paths. I think if they do it right it may improve the fishing. I think I've got them talked into making a couple of these holes behind work a little deeper.
[signature]
That's good to hear that it might end up better in the long run. It sounds like access will be improved as well, for better or worse.
[signature]
If the dwr is involved say good by
[signature]
I haven't seen one brown coat, I think we're safe.
[signature]
I think it all ties into the River Walk that starts around the golf course, then a walkway behind Icon from 6th to 10th, and they've extended west from 10th, I don't know how far. Biking, jogging, walking trails. I think it'll be good, you don't often see folks fishing from the River Walk trail.

That's cool on ya if you've got contacts that could dig some deep holes, maybe a few well placed bolders in front, nice back eddies and current seams would be cool!

Wish I'd taken more pictures of the flooding last spring. It was pretty intense - like a whole mini-niagra falls. And there were some nice browns lurking around. I decorated a few of the trees down that walk around some of the holes I did find.