Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your #1 river for fishun, any species. A poll.
I was going to post a poll but I can only have 5 choices so I'D thought I'd do it this way. There are sooooooo many choices so I thought I mention a few. Add your vote for any I've missed.
LOGAN, VIRGIN, GREEN, DUCHESNE, JORDAN, MILL CREEK, PROVO, SEVEIR, WEBER (above Echo/below - it's a long river), OGDEN, STRAWBERRY, DIAMOND FORK, BLACKSMITH FORK, AND ON AND ON!

My favorite, - Weber of course below Echo.. [Wink]
[signature]
the green, and 3 smaller ones i wont name
[signature]
Gunna go with Jordan river (so many species year round to catch and most put up a good fight) Provo, its close and can always catch fish.
[signature]
Shark River and Gopher Creek down south.
Lower 108 and Logjam Creeks up north.
Oh you mean Utah- I'm with Koch I'm not going to disclose my favorite small streams here[Tongue].
[signature]
1-green c-section
2-left fork of huntington
3- upper and lower fish creek including price river
4 seeley creek
5- lowery water
6- fremont.
While many I have fished many of the wasatch waters and done well. I am not fond of standing in line to fish.
[signature]
Number one hands down,The Little Bear. Second, south fork of the Madison. Third the Madison in the Lamar Valley. The others are fly only waters that I hear are great to fish with a spinner, so I'm told.
[signature]
The Sevier is not really my favorite, but most of my favorite streams flow into it. The Sevier has many wonderful tributaries.
[signature]
I like the Logan, the Blacksmith Fork, the Little Bear, but my vote falls to da Bear - lower, upper, way upper - it's a diverse fishery, about everything you might find at Utah Lake, short of the June Suckers and White Bass.

Have recently learned to appreciate the options for Bass, Crappie, Gills/Sunfish even - on top of the nice Channels and Walleye that can be found. There's even chances for trout, if you're so inclined.
russian river flowing into the kenia

Kenia anywhere
[signature]
Bear Trap section of the Madison. Lots of big browns and enough rattlers on the north side to keep virtually all competition away.
[signature]
The Green
Strawberry River ( The section is now private [mad] )
The Weber
[signature]
I would have to go with The Bear also. You can have really good fishing for just about any species from brookies up in the Uintas all the way down to catfish where it ends. I have had incredible trout fishing on it in Idaho and fast smallmouth fishing further downstream. You also have some fun reservoirs along its length as well. Oneida is one of my favorite places to fish now for some nice smallmouth and walleye.

Diamond Fork used to be a great trout stream and was definitely at the top of my list when I lived down that way. The Blacksmith is fun, and The Logan has gorgeous scenery and lots of healthy cutthroat. There are some smaller creeks around here that I really love too, but I won't discuss those publicly.
[signature]
My very favorites are smaller creeks that tend to flow into larger rivers and, like many other folks, I just can't discuss those.

As far as rivers, I'd have to say the Strawberry River, then the Upper Provo.

The U.P. is loaded with fish (usually) and so very scenic, while offering crazy good fishing.

The Strawberry, where I fish it, is more technical, but the rewards are sweet.
[signature]
+1 on diamond
[signature]
The upper Provo is tons of fun. I like the variety of species up there too. Last time I went I caught rainbows, cutts, brookies, tiger trout and browns. I really enjoy places where you never know what you'll catch next.
[signature]
I've kinda gotten attached to the Jordan. In the last five years I've caught channel cats, bullheads, a couple perch, white bass, largemouth, some browns and even two rainbnows. For some reason, I can't get the number for the suckers or carp. One brown was about 20" & healthy but all the others didn't look too hot. All but the channel cats & whites went back. Probably should have gone ahead and put some of the trout out of their misery. I lived in Richfield and really got to love the Sevier from about Elsinore south.
[signature]
Well that all depends on the time of year.... This time of year my heart turns to the Salmon River, got to love the steelheads.... But in the summer, I love the small streams in the Uinta's and Wind River range, it's nice to find a spot where the fish are dumb enough that even I can catch them.... Hard to dislike anything as beautiful as our rivers and streams, nice to reflect on our favorite memories... Later J
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Shark River and Gopher Creek down south.
Lower 108 and Logjam Creeks up north.
Oh you mean Utah- I'm with Koch I'm not going to disclose my favorite small streams here[:p].[/quote]

Oh, the Shark and 108. Tarpon, snook, and steelhead, oh my!

Favorite public western trout rivers are the Henry's Fork and Missouri, both in states with proper stream access laws.
[signature]
The Virgin? Is there even fish in there? My favorite is the Provo. BIG fish, close to home, and best of all no bait fisherman.
[signature]
There's fish and even trout in the Virgin if you know when and where to look:
Zion Native Fish List:
Virgin River Spinedace - Lepidomeda mollispinis
Speckled Dace - Rhinichthys osculus
Flannelmouth Sucker - Catostomus latipinnis
Desert Sucker - Catostomus clarki

Fish Introduced to Zion (all present in low numbers):
Rainbow Trout - Oncorhynchus mykiss
Cutthroat Trout - Oncorhynchus clarki
Brown Trout - Salmo trutta
Channel Catfish - Ictalurus punctatus
Brook Trout - Salvelinus fontinalis

Don't worry too much about what natives and endangered or what. Despite coming on thousands of them I've never snagged one, let alone caught one. The Virgin River Spinedace does have an annoying habit of spooking upstream from below you and scaring the trout above you.
[signature]