Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps I got the wrong Fishing Rod
Hey guys and gals,

I invested into an Abu Garcia Hank Parker Design combo setup ( http://www.abugarcia.com/m/hankparker/index.htm ).

The problem is, I just noticed that this fishing rod is 7' 0" Medium Heavy 10-20 lb. line.

So basically, I just need a great Crappie fishing setup. Would this rod be alright for doing just that?

I'm interested in it's quality, as from what I've heard Abu Garcia makes some of the best equipment.

Thanks!
[signature]
Welcome to the site, Brandon.
No, that rod is way to heavy for crappie. IMO you need a med or med light for crappie but maybe one of the other guys will have another opinion. Your rod looks better suited for bigger fish like 4-10 lb bass or stripers, maybe even musky. Abu Garcia does make good rods and reels.
WH2
[signature]
Yes a lighter rod is usually what a person would want. Crappie fihing is a finesse type of fishing, very light bite and smaller lures. UL, L, & at the most a med. Lighter line & longer rod. Some people will take a fly rod and use them for instance.
[signature]
I suggest you get a medium/light or even light rod that's over 7' long and a small spinning reel. You want to use a spinning reel because you're going to be using very small lures like bettle spins and inline spinners or small minnows if you use live bait. I also suggest you use 6lb or smaller fishing line. I personally use 6lb flourocarbon because it sinks and can get the lures down deeper when I need to.

A long rod is important. Most of the time you won't be casting out a lure and retrieving, although there are times you will do that. You will be using a jig or live bait and just dropping it down and holding your rod out to keep the bait at a certain depth. The small movement of your hand holding the rod will give the jigs or bait a slight movement which is enough to entice a bite.

You can also use jigs under a float if there is a little chop on the top of the water and cast out to brush or underwater structure and the wave action will give your bait enough movement to make the lure attract a bite.

Hope this is helpful.

My biggest crappie ever below:
[inline Crappie.JPG]
[signature]
My opinion is about the same. That rod is much to heavy for crappie. I usually go no heavier then 6lb line and depending on the water I'm fishing might even drop down to 4lb with a light rod. I also like a little longer rod for crappie. I mainly fish for the fun and not so much the meat. I like lighter gear then a lot of guys do. Ron
[signature]
I prefer an ultra light spinning rod with 6 lb test mono. The rod you purchased is better for bass.
[signature]