Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stansbury Park Lake Massacre
Just saw this on KSL. Looks like the carp population took a hit.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24396953&nid=148...featured-1
[signature]
Carp took a hit. That just sucks!
[signature]
Some of those fish don't quite look like carp, particularly the mouth area. Thoughts anybody??
[signature]
Largemouth! at least 2-26 seconds into the link. Good size bass...to bad.
[signature]
Grass carp
[signature]
Yes, the big ones I saw in the clip were Grass Carp.
[signature]
Lots of dead bass in the clip. Too bad. I think the theory behind it seems a bit fishy. Why are we not seeing the same thing happen at lakes like pelican and mantua that are shallow and freeze for a lot longer period?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Weed beds and fresh water inlets...in Mantua and Pelican. The combination of oxygen loss and pH degradation is what causes winter kill in almost any lake. When even the carp are croaking you know it got pretty bad.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well there goes a fishing trip on spring break ha ha ha.
[signature]
Thats a bummer. Anybody ever fish out there?
[signature]
Went down there to take a look today out of pure curiosity. Those grass carp are big like 40 to 50 inches! The venerable TD is right on the money again, it's not just oxygen deprivation, it's ph level. That water basically fermented when the ice lid closed down on it. There is no ice at all now and fish are still coming up to the top in shock and dying. Seems as if that water is pretty toxic. Hundreds of dead largemouth in the back of every cove, I stopped trying to count after the first cove. Didn't see any 10lbers which I was curious if there were any lol. Mostly 15 to 18" with a couple 19" , that pond is pretty cleaned out. No need for a state rotenone treatment lol. Nasty seagulls everywhere eating the corpses. The first flies have already hatched and are on the floating fish already.
[signature]
I can probably imagine how nasty the battle was after some fish from many seagulls after seeing one dead carp on Utah lake and a few hrs later many of them scrapped ever piece of meat.

I just wished that this didn't happen because I wanted to check it out a few time this year. There goes a good fishery [crazy].
[signature]
SUCKS
[signature]
Grass Carp ??? When did they allow those into the state ?? They are one of the most noxious species, along with big head and sliver carp around !! Just what we need to get loose into other areas of the state !!!
they are in the jordan river, have hooked some monsters but never got em on the bank.
[signature]
I don't know about anyone else, but "Grass Carp" just became my new obsession.

I'm gonna need a bigger boat...
[signature]
The DWR uses sterile grass carp to keep the population in check. They eat the vegetation so they use them to control weeds and aquatic plants.
[signature]
Exactly what I was wondering...how did they get there lol. Because that is NOT a state water but a completely private pond off limits to the public, it is not state controlled but city ordinance controlled. Who knows maybe they got a permit to plant grass carp for weed control.
[signature]
My buddys just went out there lots of carp sucking air on top. Stansbury staff really needs to start pumping fresh water in there, to get at least a little oxygenated water in there. If anyone knows who's in charge out there they should let the staff know. Why wouldn't they of started to add fresh water in there when the ice first started coming off??????. Pretty depressing..
[signature]
They have them in Salem Pond down in Utah Valley. One day they were sucking yellow pollen off the surface, so we through some little yellow bellied Teeny Torpedos would entice them, and they did. That was quite the battle on a little utlralight and four pound test.
[signature]