Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VERY surprising picture
[fishon] I recently was searching "Los Angeles river fishing" because it seemed like a pretty extreme place to catch fish with all the heavy metals in the water there, and the low oxygen content, but you would not believe what came up! A guy holding a fresh Steelhead while standing in the L.A. river with his fly rod! I honestly admit, it is near impossible that there are healthy, well maybe not healthy, runs of Steelhead in the L.A. river, just from the lack of proper oxygenation, and all the contaminants of the water. There are large amounts (20 to 50 parts per billion is a lot) of mercury, lead, and countless other substances that are deadly to trout/salmon. I'm just just stunned that this was possible. I would always compare the Hudson River to the L.A. river as being nearly the same water, just ones deeper and ones shallower, but Steelhead? This turns the tables!
[signature]
Though, the picture could have been green screened. The positon he's in and the contrast and lighting of the background compared to the guy are making me think it was green screened.
[signature]
Do you believe everything you see/read on the net?[laugh] If so I have a deal for you on some land[blush]. Photoshop!!!
[signature]
I'm a steelheader in the Pacific Northwest and I'm not buying it. That fish just looks to healthy for that river. Ron
[signature]
I can't vouch for the authenticity of the picture but it could be real. There are reliable reports of steelhead showing up in rivers throughout southern California for many years now. Some may be very small runs but others may be stray steelhead returning to rivers other than their natal streams. Even the very small runs probable got restarted from strays. Steelhead used to run all the way to northern Mexico. I've caught 2 king salmon in tiny streams that "didn't have king salmon" in SE Alaska. One was literally a single king in a sea of a million pinks while I was seeing if any early silvers had shown up yet.
[signature]
Hey you got taken. This was an April Fool's Gag. You find the gag article at the link below. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the disclaimer about the gag which reads:
Quote:Okay, I guess I had better put this disclaimer in here, based on the number of emails I’ve been getting. You missed one valuable piece of information in this article…in fact, it’s in the paragraph above: THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL’S GAG!!

The last line in the fake article reads:
Quote:Next time you’re down in LA and want to try a little steelhead fishing, give Damon’s Los Angeles River Outfitters Guide Service a call at [url "http://www.fishwithjd.com"](310) APRIL-FOOLS [/url]
You can see the entire fake article at this link:
http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01/los...elheading/

I guess that's settled, huh?[:p]
[signature]
Mike Iaconelli used to host a show about fishing in large cities. It was called City Limits Fishing and was a pretty decent show. I think they still do the show but with a new host. You can find more about it here:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42456060/n...-outdoors/
[signature]
sweet, wished I had a river I didnt have to drive an hour to get there.

it is suprizing how little water needed in the river for salmon/trout to be there.
[signature]