Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail creek
Ok my kids and my wife want to catch some fish. Sand hollow skunked us out today. Any hints, tips, or tricks? Pms are always welcome. Since we have never fished it before this is all new water to us. Thanks in advance for the help!
[signature]
wrong time of the year.. You need to go back to Quail Creek at the end of April.... Water too cold still..
[signature]
End of April would be nice but not sure it can happen.
[signature]
You can catch trout at QC this time of year. Lots of folks use stuff like powerbait from the shore and have modest success for rainbows in the spring. It is a bit cold to get bass from in close at this time. If the ice is coming off of Kolob, I'd recommend that instead and your family will love the drive up there.
[signature]
Tried to get up to kolob area today. Snow pack just before lava point area.
[signature]
Quail Creek has some nice trout in it and you should be able to catch some. There is limited access from shore due to vegetation. There is a spot below the highway near the dam that is popular for trout. If you give it a shot let us know how you do. I have caught a few trout in the 20 in range there.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies, we will give it a shot today.
[signature]
If you are willing to take a drive. You could go up to Minersville. Big rainbows when you catch'em. Artifical only however
[signature]
Trout should be active, but beware there is an overzealous park ranger that lives there.

He's hell bent on ruining any trip whether it's fishing or boating. He lurks and watches and then gives tickets out like he's a radio announcer.

I've had several reports from friends that he's in an especially bad mood this spring.
[signature]
[quote ifishutah]Trout should be active, but beware there is an overzealous park ranger that lives there.

He's hell bent on ruining any trip whether it's fishing or boating. He lurks and watches and then gives tickets out like he's a radio announcer. [/quote]

If you're following the rules, then what is there to fear? He can't ticket you unless you are doing something wrong...

Many have given good advice concerning trout and bass at QC. It's just too early to target bass from shore. But the trout should still be available. Someone also mentioned the pond below the dam -- the community fisher called "Grandpa's Pond" or "Stratton Pond" (Hurricane). It's a really nice sized pond with lots of room -- and it feels more like a "real" fishing spot than an urban community fishery. You could probably get into some fish there as well.
[signature]
So go see him.
[signature]
i fish quail all the time and never had a problem the ranger there they always been nice
[signature]
I fished Quail Creek a couple of weeks ago in my pontoon boat. Caught one on powerbait and then lost it. I was fishless by 11:30 so I switched to shrimp on a treble hook. I got an immediate bite and netted the fish. Then got a bit from a cutthroat pattern kastmaster with salmon peach powerbait. Then got another bite with the shrimp. Caught about 8 fish until about 4pm then came in cause I had my limit.

Now I'm sold on using shrimp as well as powerbait at Quail. The bite is slower than Enterprise but it's only about 14 miles from my house. But I'm done this year for Quail. Either Otter Creek or Enterprise for me now. The fish are decent at Quail. You just have to be more patient. Give it a try cause it is beautiful there.

Good Luck to you.
[signature]