Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead 3/26-3/28
[cool]Took a spring break camping/fishing trip to Crawdad cove, got there in the morning of the 26th our usual spot was taken so we tried a different part of the cove. got a good campsite but the fishing was all bad, so much submerged brushn and shallow water, made for tough fishing even with 20lb big game

day 1, I did manage to get the smell of skunk off me from my previous 4 outings this year, and to land my first Lake Mead smallmouth it weighed in at 1.5lbs he ate my sardine on the bottom I had to keep it cause it swallowed the hook all the way down and was bleeding pretty bad from the gills. I tried resuscitating it but it went belly up.
I hooked another fish on the bottom and tried to let my wife reel it in but it got into the brush and broke off.

day 2 all I got was a 7lb carp. and lost 3 fish in a row that felt huge. lost them all to my 20lb test line breaking.

day 3 I managed one hook up in the same area I hooked up the 3 big ones the day before and once again line broke. so I went 2 for 7 on hook ups.

I did get a chance to test my hypothesis on Seafood City's "sardines" compared to the International Market Sardines and I had zero bites on the Seafood city bait. ALL of my bites (which were many) came on the International Market ones. [fishon]

all in all we had a great trip. and we even almost saw a rattlesnake! and I say almost cause we heard it rattle at us twice. but before I could locate it, my wife seen people invading our campsite from where we were, so we had to hurry back in case they took something.

camp
[Image: 527617_634971316529960_875868936_n.jpg]

smallie
[Image: 28137_634972563196502_24477410_n.jpg]

fish on!
[Image: 526839_634972676529824_1467607992_n.jpg]

7lb carp
[Image: 62346_634972693196489_2033340574_n.jpg]
[signature]
Nice report, Syn. Thanks for posting. So how did that smallie fight go? They sure like to tug a lot.
[signature]
Quote:So how did that smallie fight go?

[cool]Man I thought I had a big fish on! they sure do put up a good fight for their size, I'd like to get into a 3 or 4 lber! [fishon]
[signature]
How is the road getting down there. I used to go down there a few times a month, but i no longer have a 4x4 pick up. Is the road too beat up to make it down there in a 2wd f-150? I have been searching google for information on the road conditions and can't find anything. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Was it crowded down there or was it still peaceful to be away from town?

Thanks again,

Devin
[cool]yeah you can make it out there with 2wd, my truck is 2wd and there are always people that go down there with just their cars. just a bit bumpy.

there are some soft sand spots out there near the water just watch out for em. I was going to pull a ford out of the sand but there was a jeep there with a winch that pulled him out.

and as far as it being crowded? well, it was spring break so there were a few more than usual people out there, but for the most part its usually pretty quiet.

lot's of coyotes that tend to come into camp though. at first I was kinda freaked out, but now after a few trips out there, it's kinda nice to hear them howl and cackle at each other from across the water and valleys. still keep my 9mm near though, just in case one gets a little bold [Wink]
[signature]
You are my hero sir! I miss that place so much. Last couple times i went, about a mile down the dirt road from the highway it started getting super sandy from one of the big storms we had. But I would love to get back out there. I have met a lot of cool people at that spot. How long have you been going down there?

I definitely know what you mean about the coyotes. I started going down there when I was 17 with my friends. They kinda kept me on edge too until I was 19 and then I didn't really care. I think they generally stay away, unless someone around there is feeding them. Then they may be a little less cautious towards humans.

Thank you very much again!
[signature]
I'd be more worried about drunk idiots than coyotes. If you charge a coyote, he's gonna run.
[signature]
most of the coyotes i have come in contact with seem pretty TAME. There was one that I have on video of me feeding it slim jims. I had it within 10 feet of me. i would just throw it to him and than he would wait for more... was very funny.
[signature]
Nice fish.[fishin] and nice form on that hookset shot. [Wink]
[signature]
Quote:nice form on that hookset shot

HaHA thanx! did you notice the Keystone light at my feet LOL! breakfast of champions!!![Wink] it was about 8am LOL [cool]
[signature]
[quote lvfishingdude]most of the coyotes i have come in contact with seem pretty TAME. There was one that I have on video of me feeding it slim jims. I had it within 10 feet of me. i would just throw it to him and than he would wait for more... was very funny.[/quote]

Dude, dont do that. Bad deal for people and coyotes.
[signature]