Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor vs Juneau AK for trip?
Looking into taking another fishing trip to Alaska. I have experienced Doc Warners out of Juneau but I am curious as to what else is out there.
There are a lot of choices and would just like to hear about other opinions from those who have experienced it.
Thanks
[signature]
Sounds like you should have gone to the Sportsmans Expo. Are you looking for just a lodge experience like Doc Warners? or are you interested in some sight seeing along with some fishing?
[signature]
Funny moose lodge, Soldotna, Ak
[signature]
When are you going and what kind of fishing are you looking to do? I've done 4 trips out of Anchorage and a half dozen to SE Alaska. Out of Anchorage their is a huge variety but be prepared for some combat conditions unless you fly out. Also be prepared for king runs to possible shut down early if poor or netters at the mouths of rivers to get extra days and ruin plans on the Kenai Peninsula. All my trips in SE have been to Prince of Wales Island. Downside some streams with literally a million pinks over a couple miles. If timed right unbelievable fishing for fresh silvers in streams. Kings are rare in rivers and can't be kept. But Kings can be found near shore especially early in the season. Halibut fishing is close by but restricted to 1 with a guide. The inter coastal waterway is frequently without any waves so seasickness doesn't have to be an issue if anyone in the group is prone to it. I've never stayed at a lodge at either. Mostly do it myself plus occasional guide if a boat is needed.
About the only place I'd consider doing a lodge would be a trip to Bristol Bay. Have you considered that option? Beside all those sockeye I've heard firsthand that the kings while smaller than the Kenai can be much faster fishing.
[signature]
Unfortunately I was out of town for the expo. I was Sad I missed it.
Going more for the fishing. Other than the guests at the lodge, there were no others around when I went to Doc Warner's. I'd like to avoid big gatherings of other anglers and combat fishing.
[signature]
Went to Doc Warner's a few yrs ago, and I go back again in a second. Sounds like a repeat, but at least you know what you're getting: a top-notch trip.
[signature]
Sounds like you need to go back to the same place.
[signature]
We did a self / friend guided trip out of Anchorage and hit the Russian River on the way down to Homer and caught a bunch of Reds, then took a halibut trip out of Homer and filled our coolers with Halibut. Then we drove back to Anchorage and got lined up with our friends and a float plane and flew to the base of Mt McKinley and landed on Lake Cheletna and put our rafts together and floated down Lake Creek for five days catching tons of rainbow, reds, kings, dogs, pinks, silver and grayling. Only time in my life I got tired fishing. My arms were so sore at night I could hardly keep casting but was always ready to go back to it in the morning. Finished off the trip fishing fish creek for silvers as the tide brought in the fresh crop of silvers that we took home to eat. Great trip, but we needed the local connections to know where to go when. I'd like to try the boat trips like Dr Warner offers I think trolling Salmon would be a blast. Last time we fly fished mostly. I did catch a few spin casting but my biggest mistake was loosing my 6 wt rod and having to go back to the 10 wt. it was okay for big kings but everything else it overpowered. Have fun. J
[signature]
You might look into Soaring Eagle Lodge. It is on the kenai peninsilla about 15 miles from homer. The host there is fantastic and he can get you hooked up with about anything you want to do. Nice little cottages with kitchenettes. We fished for silvers, halibut, did a fly out trip and a whale watching thing. Here is a link.
[url "http://www.soaringeaglelodge.com/"]http://www.soaringeaglelodge.com/[/url]
[signature]
Not trying to Hijack your post, thanks for posting. I'm heading to Soldotna on May 19th for a week of work. Was thinking of spending an extra day or two fishing. I have relatives in Willow which I'll probably stop in and see. Some friends pointed me to Seward for a halibut trip which I may do. Thought I'd put my feelers out as well since this post is here. I'm told the King's may or may not be in by then.
[signature]
Might be a couple weeks early for kings but they hit different areas at slightly different times. Seward is a beutiful area.
[signature]
You have to check the regulations for the smaller king runs down there- usually just certain days of the week for most of them. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regula...ations.pdf
Anchor, Deep Cr and Ninilchik Rivers have the earliest runs ( mid May) that can be fished on the Kenai . It's combat fishing for sure but the crowds tend to be more Alaskans and less hostile than what you'll run into once June rolls around.
[signature]