Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tigers in willard?
I don't know if anybody else has heard or seen tiger muskie in willard but I jist caugjt this beautiful fella out of the ever so horrible inlet! Didn't know if you could keep themor not and ddon't even know if you could if there worth eating so he's back swimming with the fishes. Does anybody know what the rules are about them? Has anybody else caught them out of there?
[signature]
Nice tiger. It has been a number if years but they have been caught in Willard before and in the Ogden river. This subject has come up before and I don't think there is a clear cut rule on Tiger musky caught in waters not IDed in the fishing regulations. Most members thought, the same 40" rule applied at the time, you could keep any tiger over 40" then. Now, I'd guess they would have to be returned to the water they were caught. How long do you think it was? Maybe one of the DNR guys will chime in on this one or you could call them tomorrow.
[signature]
Think of all the walleye it's eating......
[signature]
I called them today and he told me the biologist said that there is no size restriction or possesion law in place he said as long as it wasn't snagged it was ok to keep. I wish I had a tape to put on it but if I had to guess I would say 36 but since its my fish story lets just say 40! It was my first tiger caught him on an orange curly tail jig it was a good easter bunny present
[signature]
Nice. I was the guy fishing just on the other side of buffer , thought your kid fell in when I heard the slash. couldn't believe my eyes when I seen that fish jump. hope that toothy monster don't eat too many of the eyes and wipers .
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Did you catch any eyes ahi? Did you have the red shirt on?
[signature]
hooked 3 only one was in the mouth.
no I had a hoody on standing on a rock casting out into the mouth of the inlet.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Ok I remember you nice to put a face with the name.
[signature]
[quote Mooncricket]I called them today and he told me the biologist said that there is no size restriction or possesion law in place he said as long as it wasn't snagged it was ok to keep. I wish I had a tape to put on it but if I had to guess I would say 36 but since its my fish story lets just say 40! It was my first tiger caught him on an orange curly tail jig it was a good easter bunny present[/quote]

Quote:Tiger muskellunge* 1 over 40 inches

Quote:Willard Bay Reservoir and inlet channel, Box Elder County
• Limit 10 crappie.
• Limit 6 walleye, only 1 walleye may be over
24 inches.
• Limit 3 wiper.
• Possession of gizzard shad, dead or alive, is
unlawful.

No special regulations at Willard for Tiger Muskellunge, therefore statewide regulations apply.
[signature]
Not going to argue with you about the law that's just what he said I don't know why you wanna keep 1 anyway don't know if they make good table fair
[signature]
Is there a lot of them in there and where is the best place to try for them in there
[signature]
They're probably as tasty as Northern Pike. Some people like them, some people don't. If I were going to keep one it would be to have it mounted, but a replica is just as good in my book.

Statewide regulations are just that. Statewide. Unless there are special regulations for the particular water you are required to follow statewide regs.

Johnson Reservoir doesn't mention Tiger Muskies. They're there, so they fall under statewide regulations:
Quote:Johnson Reservoir, Sevier County
• Unlawful to use whole fish for bait. Cut baitfish must not be larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook.

Newton has them, but has special regs:
Quote:Newton Reservoir, Cache County
• CLOSED to the possession of tiger muskie. All tiger muskie must be immediately released.
• Unlawful to use whole fish for bait. Cut baitfish must not be larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook.

Pineview has them, but has special regs;
Quote:Pineview Reservoir, Weber County • Limit 20 crappie.
• CLOSED to the possession of tiger muskie. All tiger muskie must be immediately released. • Tiger muskie may not be taken by means of
underwater spearfishing.

No mention of them in Fish Lake either. They're there, so they fall under statewide regulations.

Willard does not have a mandatory catch and kill reg. It doesn't have an exemption for length or limit numbers. That makes it statewide regulations.
[signature]
Tigers in Willard? I learn something new every day, nice job!
[signature]
[quote fearfish]Is there a lot of them in there and where is the best place to try for them in there[/quote]
No, there are not a lot in there, one for sure[Wink], unless someone else caught it. They were not planted, they just come down stream from Pineview. It happens every few years but it is not common. Unless it goes down the channel to the main bay, I'd say the best place to catch it is right where it was released.
[signature]
I hear pike taste alright. But something you have to consider with Pike, usually, not always... but usually Pike are smaller in average size than Tigers. I think once they start getting over 30-35" the taste goes downhill.

That is not true with all species... I think 10lb walleye taste just as good as a 2lb walleye. But other species like big catfish... taste just goes downhill.

Pike and muskies are tougher to clean if you have never done it either. And I don't want to kill a few fish just to learn how to clean/eat them. But that's just me!

Kudos on the release.
[signature]
Thanks for the intel fishrmn I guess I won't have to worry about the rules to much I'm pretty sure I won't be lucky enough to catch two out of that lake but was still fun to share my experience! Got to love fishin!
[signature]
Quote:But other species like big catfish... taste just goes downhill.

With channel cats, yes. But with the bigger blue catfish and flatheads (that Utahans don't have the pleasure of enjoying in the state), bigger ones are just as good. [Wink]
[signature]
There is one more that you did not mention:

"Mill Meadow Reservoir

Limit 8 tiger muskie of any size (no size restrictions on tiger muskie on this water)"
[signature]
Oops. Ya think they want them outta there?
[signature]
Can you say "Cheek meat"? The best!
[signature]