Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utahs Fly Fishing Contest
I'm usually not jealous of Utah.. but I will admit I'm jealous that they are having a fly fishing contest and I can't participate because they limited it to strictly Utah waters. Has there ever been a fly fishing contest like the ice contest that is run? I don't ice fish so I didn't participate in the contest but it seemed like fun.
[signature]
do explain more? i would like to hear more about this.
[fishin]
[signature]
Here is the link to the rules ans stuff of their contest. http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...201;page=1
[signature]
i agree this looks like alot of fun.
[signature]
I actually live in Utah, but I'm right on the border and fish Idaho about 90% of the time. I thought about signing up, but I'd rather fish Idaho, contest or not.
[signature]
Even though I have participated in the ice fishing contest in the past. I am concerned with the treatment of the fish for a picture. Please don't take this a criticism of the contest I just think it will take a while to align the flopping fish with tape and BFT etc...In warm water conditions this could be deadly to the fish. Just be smart if anyone participates in this.

Windriver
[signature]
you have a very good point. I had thought about that and was trying to come up with a solution but I don't know that there is. It doesn't seem like there is all that much interest in having a contest anyways. I would have been fun to see who would win it seems like stopping to measure and photograph the fish would be kind of a nuisance. it's not like ice fishing were there is a hard deck at all times
[signature]
That was one of my reasons for not bothering with it. Most of my fishing is out of tube and it just seems like such a hassle trying to get the fish lined up with the tape and try to get it in frame. I just want to fish.
[signature]
[quote flyfish_88]I'm usually not jealous of Utah.. but I will admit I'm jealous that they are having a fly fishing contest and I can't participate because they limited it to strictly Utah waters.[/quote] Well, I don't think that just because it is in Utah doesn't mean you can't participate.
Keeping in mind the real concerns conveyed by Windriver....start one for Idaho. I have no motivation, time, nor am I serious enough to try and organize one but I would enter and participate in one for sure.
[signature]
Thanks for noticing my Utah contest. I too shared concerns about the fish and well there is no way around that.

I wish it could be larger than just Utah but then it would get too confusing. It is not just because ID fish are bigger.[Wink]
[signature]
I took it that you just wanted Utah waters, but the contestants could be from Idaho.
[signature]
After much debate it was decided that the Utah Fly Fishing Contest it is for Utah contestants only.[Sad]

But I highly encourage you guys to have one of your own up there. Keep it the same or tweak it to an Idahoan style that fits with the fly fishing culture up there.

I would be willing to even run it for you if nobody else wanted to.
[signature]