Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake
grab that handy proc you tell other people to read and read it yourself and you will see the number is right there in it.....
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]That could be construed as being somewhat ambiguous and confusing. Not the first time for a regulation in Utah.

But the rule for releasing ALL suckers makes no distinction about fresh or previously frozen...or from another water. A stickler CO would likely issue a citation if you were found in possession of a sucker in any form on Utah Lake.

Kinda like the corn issue. Can't use it at all. But does that include a dough bait with corn mixed in? Or cornbread? Silly rule anyway. I don't know any other states who outlaw corn for bait.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]It's easy to tell which is which for me. One got a lip that face down to bottom feed and one is more of a normal mouth that feels on insect, minnows and plankton. HA HA HA[/quote]
Coming from the person that has misidentified a brown more than one time.
Good one[Tongue]
[signature]
Sorry that the last brown looks like a cutty rain brown too me because how extremely light it was. I got that brown dna tested and they told me its was a goldencuttybrookrainbrownbowlaker trout[Tongue][laugh].
[signature]
Corn King Corn King - sweet and fresh . . .

I was pondering that one the other day..over lunch ... so if you bring some leftovers in a tupperware that includes corn for a mid-day snack. By the regs - if you're in possession of corn while fishing .... hmmm?

Hadn't thought about corn-meal though. Probably make a good carp - dough!

Have to wonder how a DWR cop is going to know what kind of fish-chunks are in that plastic baggie? Got a quick-stop DNA test? Carp are easy anywhere, but Perch are limited to where they are allowed. Don't seem to care what water they came from. Typically waters that have them you can use them, but nothing saying I can't use Hyrum Perch at Mantua - for example.
I did email the DWR a little while ago and they said corn meal is a no go also[Sad]
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]The ban on corn (and corn products) goes way back to the olden days on Strawberry. Whole armadas of boats would anchor up in some of those bays and everybody would be chumming with "Niblets hackle". The bottom became covered with inches of corn and (supposedly) this befouled the water.

Another excuse for the corn ban was that trout could not digest it and it would clog them up...until death. Strange that no other state in the union has found corn to be indigestible to fishies and banned its use.

My personal belief is that a lot of our silly laws harken back to the trout-oriented beginnings of our fisheries folks. Hatchery darlings needed protection from the evil anglers who would kill them and take them home. So...no corn...no live bait, etc.

Granted, there used to be whole families and large groups that would descend on Da Berry (and other waters) and would use any and all means to make sure that everybody left with a full limit. But that is the exception rather than the rule these days.

Still...I have heard of overzealous COs issuing tickets for an angler having an unopened can of corn in the cupboard of their motor home. And another for using Procure corn scent.

As for DNA tests for species identification...when cut fish pieces are being used as bait...well, that is another area subject to abuse. That is why it is always best to leave skin attached to any legal bait...like perch...when using it on waters with restrictions against other fish parts. Again, I heard tell of a BFTer who was busted for fishing with CRAPPIE pieces when he was just tipping his jigs with tiny pieces of perch meat. No DNA test and no way to prove or disprove. Another guy I know got busted for fishing with store-bought smelt at Willard Bay. He was cited for using shad...and he still had the labeled package of smelt.

The laws are there to protect us from ourselves. We need to be very careful that we don't leave any room for misunderstandings or errors...on either side. Study the proclamation (Fishing Guide) and know the regulations on whatever waters you are fishing and on the species within those waters. And if there is any question...JUST SAY NO.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Don't know where this dude got his info from. That fish was not caught on bluegill but was caught while fishing for bluegill. It was actually caught on a gizzy bug that was intended for a bluegill. That's what happens when people git it twisted and post pics of people they have never met. I'm not you buddy dude. If ya didn't catch da fish don't post da fish.
[signature]
Touche - thanks for clarifying. Good news.

I know anglers from the south who are used to Bluegill being a good bait. Seen em flung whole off California piers for much bigger fish. Not sure why Utah draws the line at perch, different from the other panfish, but alas.

Is what it is. As TD has pointed to - some may make sense (to someone) while other rules leave us scratching....

Had conversations with DNR about things like Roe-sacks. If you read the letter of the regs - rainbows PERIOD would be off the list, but as it seems - eggs, guts - are probably (don't quote me!) OK, while the meaty bits - not so much. But that's not made clear.

I had egg-sacks I showed to a DNR on ice, and suggestion was it was ok. Had I had trout strips, not so much.

the whole live-bait thing will continue to be a disappointment for Utah angers for a loooooong time! Everytime I real about Walleye tipups....
http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/f...n_chum.htm
A little bit of what Pennsylvania has to say about corn. Trout fed a diet of corn for 54 days. No mortality. An urban myth about the negative effects of corn debunked.

As for fouling the water, try this. Spread a can of niblets on your back yard. Enclose it with netting so birds can't get to it. Every week dump another can in the same spot. Don't get carried away, one can a week will give you all the proof you need. No need to replicate the cases and cases of corn that were dumped in Strawberry. Let us know what your back yard smells like in three weeks. 6. 12. Inches of corn did, and will foul the water.
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]A similar test was conducted on feeding corn to several different species by the F&G dept. in California when I lived there. Same results. Good food value with no ill effects.

I already know what "distressed" corn smells like. I am an old Idaho farm kid and have been downwind of corn silage. However, I was not around when the "alleged" corn buildups occurred so I can only accept (or not) the heresay accounts of corn pollution. My questions might be 1. Why didn't the fish eat it? 2. Why would the corn decompose so rapidly...in a cold water lake that keeps human bodies intact for months or years?

For what it's worth, I took a semi Tongue in cheek shot at the last RAC meeting to allow the use of corn on non-trout waters...like Utah Lake. Got a lot of hoo-haws and knee slapping. Nobody took me seriously.

Mentioning the use of corn in Utah seems akin to declaring that you are an atheist.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
As that corn ferments, you could run afoul of our beloved ATF for moonshine !!! No corn, especially on Utah Lake is dumb !! We are spending 125 million to remove carp and they spilt hairs about corn for bait for carp !! Pinch pennies and step over dollars !!!
[#0000FF][cool]You're preachin' to the choir on that one.

AMEN, brother.

[inline PREACHER.jpg]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF][cool]You're preachin' to the choir on that one.

AMEN, brother.

[/#0000FF][/quote]

Church of the angler?
[signature]
L.D.F. Latter day fisherman
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000FF]Strange that no other state in the union has found corn to be indigestible to fishies and banned its use.[/#0000FF][/quote]

We aren't the only state with ths law on the books.
From the 2012-2013 Wyoming Fishing Regulations "Use or possession of corn while fishing is prohibited on all waters of the state"
[signature]
Oh lord here we go again! dude post a cool pic and instantly we are getting scientific and rewriting the regs. I bet he snagged it! at the inlet!
[signature]
[quote setthehook]Oh lord here we go again! dude post a cool pic and instantly we are getting scientific and rewriting the regs. I bet he snagged it! at the inlet![/quote]

no way i was the only one who laughed at this
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]Is Wyoming a state? I thought it was just a sheep storage area for Utah.

I do seem to recall hearing that Wyoming was trying to copy some of our more progressive regulations.

Now Idaho, on the other hand...corn is a primary bait up there. You can always tell how good the fishing has been by the number of empty corn cans along the lakeshore.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I took an ol' boy fishing once on the old Strawberry before corn was banned. He brought a whole gallon restaurant size can of corn and a slingshot that he'd made about a 1/4 cup sized pocket for. When we anchored he got the thing out & shot corn all over he-- around us. We fished with Velveeta cheese and really caught the fish. Every time we'd move - more corn. He used up the whole can before we left. Went back to one of the places we visited a week later & there were no dead fish around but some I caught did have partially digested corn in their innards.
[signature]