Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blacksmith Before the Storm
On Thursday I found some time in my schedule to enjoy what matters in life. A friend and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and fish the Blacksmith Fork for a few hours.

You can imagine the frustration I felt, when arriving at our planned location, we discover one of us (not I) forgot to bring waders. DOH! Considering the limited time we had to fish, we adjusted our plans and ended up fishing just above the dam in a popular stillwater section (I dont know if its technically stillwater, but folks more familiar with the river know which section I am referring to).

With just a few hours to fish, we were successful in landing numerous brown and cutthroat, as well as a few whitefish, one of which was over 20 inches. Between the two of us, we landed well over two dozen fish. We did see quite a few families out on the water and even a few fishing poles produced. Its always great to see children out fishing.

It didnt take long to figure out what they wanted, but then again I dont believe the trout in that pool are very selective. Every fish came on a size 20 Brassie fished as a dropper under an attractor pattern. The take was so very subtle I could barely tell the difference between contact with the bottom or a strike, even with the smallest strike indicator. A bead head brassie produced more fish once it seemed that the fun was at an end.

I am a relatively inexperienced fly fisherman, but I have to say, that whitefish was incredibly fun to catch. I had a chance to test out my new Lifeproof phone case as well, completely submerging it in water to film several trout being released. If you fish often and like to bring your smartphone with you, I highly recommend this case.

It was great to get out and enjoy the sun before the nasty weather we had up in cache today, and Im grateful for a successful day to help cope with the inevitable skunked trips which occur so often for me haha.
[signature]
Nice! Those big whitefish up there are a ton of fun to catch. They have really made many a day for me on that stream.
[signature]