Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I just stink at fishing for Cats?
[quote FishMcFisherson]
I've never once in my life caught a cat on a spinner (and I've thrown spinners at Utah Lake for years), but I've caught 2 this week on the Jordan with a gold Blue Fox. I don't know what to think.[/quote]

I don't necessarily pitch spinner baits (too many snags threaten) BUT commonly throw baits with spinners.

An octopus hook, some beads, and a blade have served me well. BUT - I'm usually not so much pitching and reeling, and serving under a bobber - with the wave-action offering a glint and dance to the blade. Hammered gold (plus some bling spots) have done well.

Figure in the murky water - the blade gets their attention, then the offering gets their lips smacking.

Cats are pretty omnivorous. I've found spring kitties chuck full of green moss. At ice out they are likely to be scarfing up whatever winter kill they can get a hold of. So I would not think live bait is key when they are still warming up from winter dormancy

[inline "CoyotesKittyBling - 400.jpg"]
any fish store like sportsmans or cabels has the egg tying sacks and magic thread but you can also go to a fabric store and buy the mesh tutu fabric stuff. as far as spinners, there are guides back east that fish next to dams and have setups where they drop a rig down and the spinner stays in one spot in the current and sits there spinning and the cats nail them, I'd think something like that would work in an area where there's a good flow on the jordan, and the big strong cats will be in that heavy flow area.
[signature]