Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best choice for a river net?
Time I purchased a net for use on the rivers here. Provo, Green, etc. What size, type and brand would you all recomend? All sugestions would be valued.
Thanks
[signature]
Brodin's and Fisknats are awesome nets. pricey but worth it
[signature]
Just be sure to get one with rubber netting. Its easier on the fish, and your flies don't get caught or tangled in it. Also, if you need a net in the first place, make sure its big enough for a 20-24 inch fish to fit in easily. Some on the market are pretty small, but you don't need a net for 12-inchers! Wood looks nice and generally lasts, aluminum is lighter. Prices range from "affordable" that are pretty good, to "expensive" like my 25-year-old Brodin boat net that's still working fine. (bought in '88 for guiding on the Green). I did replace the old cotton mesh with rubber a few years back. Now its really nice!
[signature]
+1 on the Brodin nets
[signature]
I have yet to see or catch a fish in utah that needs a net to land...but I do carry around this one

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImag...tId=744705
[signature]
+1 on large rubber net. The very minimum size opening I'd get would be in the 12 by 16 inch to 9 by 20 inch range depending on shape of the opening. Any net smaller than that won't handle the big trout in rapid water and that's the only reason to have one.
If you don't want to spend the bucks on a wooden handle ( or you're pissed that you broke your expensive wood one[mad]), Frabill and others makes a descent inexpensive rubber net with an undestructible metal handle. It's not just want you can land without a net. Do you really want to drag a 26 inch trout out onto the rocks a hundred yards downstream in slower water when you plan to release it. The net I use has a 18 by 13 inches opening and makes quick work of all but the biggest trout in the fastest water.
[signature]
Thats the net I own but mine didn't come with a rubber net was that nylon material. I trashed the nylon net and bought brodin replacement . Just wish it had a longer handle.

I use my net when ever I can keeps me from having to handle the fish. I just scoop it up in the net, remove my fly and dip my net back in the water.
[signature]
Despite the size of the fish nets are a great choice to get the fish back in the water faster and with less handling. I will always buy rubber! I lose so many flies in the stupid nylon nets in maddening... I picked this bad boy up at wal mart for $30. My dad bought the same one for double at a local fly shop. As mich as i love to help local fly shops i couldnt turn that price Down. It's a great deal and a solid net. A little tip... Instead of messing with magnet releases or stuffing it in your waders, I took off the rope and put on a carabeaner and I now just hook it straight to my pack or wading belt. Much easier and not in the way at all.
[signature]
[quote FishingRookie]I have yet to see or catch a fish in utah that needs a net to land.[/quote]

your not fishing the right places than!
[signature]
I have the larger Measure Net with the rubber net. It is a little big but I like it. I also like the ruler in it to give you a good "estimate" length.
[signature]
I found this which seems genius... Anybody tried it? http://www.cabelas.com/product/743945.ut...id=crrdtfd
[signature]
We carried those at Orvis. Don't recall ever selling one however
I like the larger, shallow nets for rivers and the slightly deeper for stillwater. I have three nets. Two are "wooden" from a good friend in Hawaii, one long handle on short. And one very long handle "wooden" net from Orvis. The Orvis basket which was nylon and very deep was replaces with Ghost Net. Perfect now
[Image: IMG_3740.jpg]
[signature]
I wanted to add a little more info here. While I totally agree that with Rubber netting, hooks do not get caught "often" and extracting is easier.
But I do have one more net I use on smaller streams because of it;s size, weight and built in hook. It is made out of Nylon and Bamboo.
[Image: 100_0084.jpg]
Here is some good reading:
http://www.flyfishingnets.net/gpage22.html
[signature]
While a little off subject once you get a net this little do-hickey seems worth a try.

http://www.smithcreek.co/net-holster.php

Ive always hated hanging a net of my back and Ive almost lost a one ( had backtrack for like a quater mile before I found it ) Little bit on the pricey side but Ive been seeing them show up on eBay for 23 bucks..
[signature]
Problem is, most people hang their net from the sweet little ring on the end of the handle, putting the larger net part dangling.
All my nets connect from the net area, leaving the handle easy to grab. I also have the leash attached from belt to handle so If I drop it, it won't float off.

Nice way to keep the net from swinging, and not he has it attached at the net. Mine works fine without securing it, but cool idea.
[signature]
Yeah for years thats how I rolled with one those magnet holders or leash connected to the back d-ring. But whenever I was bush whacking through the trees it always come apart.

Gonna give this a try looks like it fits right on your wading belt and you just keep it on your wading belt.

The only problem I can see with for now is trying to get the net back on the holster
[signature]