Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearing up for the ice
Does anyone have the mr heater buddy. It is the square shaped heater that uses propane and is safe for tents. I need to replace my heater and have been thinking about this one. It was about 100$ when it came out a few years ago but I saw it at smith and edwards today for 75$ Can anyone tell me if it works well. We had a sub par heater last year at the sulpher creek derby and I want to make sure I have a better one this year.

I was also looking at all the other new ice fishing gear and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the advantages of having a rod that you tape your reel to it with electrical tape? For example the Dave Genz series by berkly. I have read some of his ice fishing books but it never explains why they prefer this method. The rod seems to be exactly what I want but I can't get past the tape thing. What rods have you found to be the best for perch fishing and trout fishing? I am looking to add a few to my collection. I was also looking at reels. In the past I have always used spinning reels but I saw a few ultra light weight baitcasters for a good price today and thought I might give it a try.

One more thing I am looking for a light weight hand auger to use when I don't want to deal with my power auger. I am looking for something cheap does anyone have any suggestions. As you can probably tell I am really excited about ice fishing and since I can't go yet all I can do is gear up and talk about it. Hopefully we get more ice this year.

Cableguy
[signature]
[left]I have the Mr. Buddy heater and a two man shanty, it will run ya out on the low setting. Coleman has one that is called something Cat, that is a little smaller. I sometime's wish I would have gotten it, but then I would probley freeze my totsie's off, then I would bitch and moan than I did'nt buy the Buddy. Just my 2 cents.[/left]
[signature]
CG,

My buddy Dan has the Mr. Heater Buddy and it works fine in his 4 man shelter. We were on Sulfur last year and it kept his shelter at about 60 degrees, even on Sunday. I use the Mr. Heater 2 burner 15k BTU outdoor one because I can't stand being in a shelter. I just use it to warm up once in a while. I have it hooked to a 25# bottle.

Most of my rods have reel rings (the cheap slide over kind) but, I still tape them anyway. I was raised on the tape the reel to the rods so it's no big deal to me. As to why they are taped, I don't know. It's because I've always done it that way. I have a bunch of ice rods, my favorites are in the picture I've enclosed. The first one is my sons and he loves it. It's 20" long and a super noodle. The 2 next to those are Master 26" rods I got at HFT years ago. James hasn't been able to get them anymore and I only have 2 left. They are best rods I've ever used. They are so noodle like that even the smallest bite translates to rod movement. The next three are just rods I let other people use. They've been around forever. The next two are new ones I got from HFT this year. They have the flex I love. The last one is one of my Mac rods and has bunches-o-beef built in.

I use super noodle rods because I want to see and feel every bite. You have to set the hook with a lot more a$$ than normal to make up for the give in the rod however. I also like them because I use nothing but 4# test and the flex in the rods make up for any mistakes I make. If you think the rods cant handle Trout, my son got a Bow 31"s and a Brown 23" within 10 minutes of each other on his, last year at Echo. I've also got a few big ones on mine, though no one would beleive I've actually caught a fish. I got a few more rods at HFT this year and I'm going to experiment with baitcasters for the Gorge. I plan on putting either Calcuttas or ABU's 5501's on them. I did see a St Croix rod there this year that I'm going to buy, just because I want to be one of the only guys on the ice with a St Croix.

Can't help with the hand auger. I have a power and my hand auger (which I still use) is 30 years old and weights almost as much as my power auger. Can you tell it's getting cold. The days are getting shorter and my posts are getting longer. Here's to walking on it. "Hoist your favorite beverage now". See you on the ice.
[signature]
Do you use 4 pound line at Flaming Gorge for the macs?
[signature]
17# Ande. No way I could hook them or get them in on 4#. I'm good, but I ain't that good. If you look at the rod/reel on the far left it's a Penn 760Z, 190 yards of 20#. I might have been worried a time or two about running out of line. I have got some smaller ones up in the water coloum on the light stuff, only by accident. I always use two poles, one for Kokes/Bows up and ones for Macks down. The ones I've broken were all at Pineview and on what I assume were Muskie.....or a world record Perch.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Hey Cableguy, I got dish![Wink] Now, forget about the silly candyass Mr Heaters. You need to get the "Coleman Powermate 5045a751" This is a 45,000 BTU heater that you defiantely need to have. My buddy and I each one, they are the "bomb". We used just one at Sulpher Creek in 2002. I went home after the first night and searched until I found one. With no wind, the Coleman can heat up a very large area. With wind behind it, you can keep yourself and a few friend pretty comfortable. I think mine came from Overstock.com out of Logan. At the time it cost me $129.00 without shipping.[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Sounds great Tommy but I'm not looking to heat up a warehouse just a 2 man shack. Sounds like the mr buddy is about the right size for me.Thanks for all the info. You to IFG, I would like to walk on water with you sometime but I'm scared of monkeys. Let me know when you get that one off your back. I don't want him jumping on me. lol

Cableguy
[signature]
I mainly use just one rod. I broke my two oldest rods last year slamming huge bows. Now day I use a modifed rod from a company in Enterprise Ut. They are the ones that have a u shaped stand and the rod comes from the bottom of the stand. We modified it so the rod comes out the top part and taped the piece that holds the unit up to the bottom. We also took a couple screws and drilled the sides of the stand out and put those screws in for extra support. We taped the reels on and never had any problems except for when it gets warm the tape stretches. Now we have a pole that works great for controled jigging and siting. Plus you can take any rod that would work and put in the stand. My brother took a ugly stick and cut it down to fit in the stand.

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

We use the coleman tent heater in ours during the early morning hours. It works good after the tent warms up but I wish it had a fan. After it gets nice and warm we get out and enjoy a day on the ice.
[signature]
I have one ice fishing pole and that is an ugly stick. I use 6lb stren on it and it seems to work good for the light bites and for the big bows. I pulled in some real nice 22 inchers last winter on echo.We use the smaller coleman heater it is just right for a 2 man shanty.Alot of times we have to shut it down because it warms things up to much.We try to go light weight on everything because what we take we pull by hand on sleds.
[signature]
In the past I've used some of the radiant style heaters. This year I picked up a Mr. Heater buddy. I borrowed a friends last year on the elk hunt...used it all night in a tent (always take a battery powered CO detector if you do this) and it kept us toasty. They do have a low oxygen shut off system, but don't take the chance. No one wants to wake up dead. It worked great! Kept us very warm. I plan on using mine this year on the ice.
[signature]
Just tape that reel on there. In the immortal words of Teroy, "Its for fishin, not for fasion." That taped on reel will catch as many fish as any other. and you get to pick where it goes on the handle.

I have used bolth reel seated ice rods, and the tape method, and I threw away all my rods that had a reel seat. All my ice rods now get taped on. Not because I think tape is the only way to go, just becasue the best ice rods I have ever found didnt have a reel seat on the handle.
[signature]
Anybody ever try zip ties? Seems like they might last longer and do better in the weather than tape.

Cableguy
[signature]
Cableguy,
The purpose for the tape is to eliminate the metal rings and hardware that they used to use on reel seats. Now they're using more plastic rings and reel seats. The metal conducts heat and cold quickly, making the reel seat very cold in winter. If you are going to have a rod with no reel seat, use tape, not wire ties. They will wiggle loose, and cut into the cork handle. If you don't like the idea of electrical tape stuck to the cork, do what I did.

Start with the tape backwards. That's right. wrap a few wraps with the sticky side out. You'll need to start with one full turn before it sticks to itself. Then wrap as far forward and back as you will need to tape. Cut the tape, and start again with the sticky side down. cover all of the tape that you/ve already put on the handle, and there is no adhesive stuck to the rod or your hand. If you need to rewrap later, the cork looks brand new instead of a sticky mess.

Fishrmn
Nice tip Fishrmn. You're like Bob Villa on ice![Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the info fishrmn. That is the best and most reasonable explination I have heard yet I think I will give it a try this season.

Thanks, Cableguy
[signature]
I can only help with the ice auger./ I saw them at C-A-L ranchers for about 25 or 27 for a 6" they had lots there a week and a half ago but lots of guys were grabing them. I think the store is up in far west (about 5 miles south and on the same road as smith and edwards)
[signature]
Speaking of ice,have you seen the forcast for the weekend??? 30`for a high in SLC!!!!Bring it on![Wink]M.H.
[signature]
I've read somewhere in one of my fishing magazines that plastic rings on ice rods make it easier for the angler to find the right balance between the rod and the reel that is being used. Since ice fishing is 99% jigging, you can move the plastic rings back and forth, and when you find the optimum balance, then you can tape it down. I've done this process with several of my ice rods since I have different kinds/brands of reels that I use with them. It helps out a lot when you are trying to feel the lightest bites.
[signature]