Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Last Night
Took the boat out to Willard last night, Didnt catch anything but it was nice to back on the boat. I tried the Southwest corner didnt have any luck then went to the south and tried up and down there and nothing. We left about 7. There were a few boats still out and one just arriving ass we loaded up. Anyone on here go out last night? If so, How did you do?? Anyone let me in on there secrets on how to fish the walleye this early in the year out there?? In the summer I do ok I troll mostly.
[signature]
April is always tough on Willard for walleye because they are recovering from the spawn and will have lock jaw for about a month thereafter. We are probably still a few weeks away from the good bite. By about mid May, as we get a nice stretch of stable warm weather and the water temps start to approach 60 then they will turn on again. June is usually the best month of the year, great weather and great fishing!

The only tip I know for increasing the slim chances in April is to slow your presentation way down. Hang it right in front of their nose, with little movement, and if they can suck it in without any effort at all then they might do it. Wiper seem to turn on a little earlier than the walleye. I've had good days for them in April other years. But I think the water still needs to warm up a bit.

I'm getting anxious too! Got a new ride to try out this year ( Lowe FM165, black with red/silver trim). You will see me out there a lot, hopefully...
[signature]
eyes havent spawned yet next full moon game on
[signature]
Boohya
[signature]
Pretty sure the spawn is 85 percent or more done by now. Rolling frenzy two or 3 weeks ago at willard now and at utah lake you got maybe another week and they will sink into the open water and disappear till fall. The majority of females are spawned out now from what I've seen.
[signature]
I was up there yesterday in my kayak south of the marina. Lots of fish suspended at 2-3 ft in 5ft of water. I was able to catch one wiper on a 3" minnow imitation.
[signature]
The Walleye are done spawning. First couple of "feeding Walleye" today. We need a week of good weather to start them up. This year they went strait into spawn mode. I only caught a couple prespawn. This year the light of the full moon was a serious spawn. The wipers have started a bit early as well. The next 3-4 good days of good weather and it will be time to hammer them.
[signature]
Are the marinas open up there? I need to do a trial run before heading to LP in a few weeks.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
South is open but the north end won't be open until the end of May.
[signature]