Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Always wondered - a realistic problem?
On many, many occasions over the many, many years, I've run across dead livestock, deer, etc in the river rotting away in the river. Is this a contamination concern, or will the environment take care of it just fine.?
[signature]
More years ago than I care to count, You could flop down on your belly and suck up a drink out of most streams in eastern Nevada without the slightest concern. I did just that on Silver Creek north of Baker NV one day. I was fishing upstream and maybe 100 yd. further I came on a dead cow in the creek. By noon the next day I was afraid I was gonna die and afraid I wouldn't. Belly cramps from he-- and Montezumas revenge the likes of which I'd never seen. I don't remember smelling anything until I was right upon the carcass and then it almost brought up the drink I just took.
[signature]
Need I say more? Sorry bud for what happened. [mad] Sooooooooo, what's the answer for us fisherman other than don't drink the water? Reported it to the DWR. They took the report but seemed to be more concerned about dumping, poaching or whether it would tend to fall apart if retrieved. [frown]
[signature]
Wasn't there a thread last year about a small buck on the brink of death between the island and shoreline at DC? If I recall the caller was told to leave it alone. So my dog cannot get into the boat with me, but a dead animal is ok rotiing in a drinking source? Yep, sounds about right for your deer also! Bet it stays until you remove it yourself......
[signature]
I just found a dead cat and a dead deer in the reservoir I fished today. Pretty gross. The last time I fished my favorite rainbow spot in Idaho, I discovered a dead horse in a small feeder spring that ran into the river. It was cold enough that I didn't smell it and walked right past it in the morning. Later that day as I walked back, the wall of stench hit me and made the gruesome discovery. Glad I didn't take any drinks out of either place. Not sure how dead animals always end up in the water, seems kind of odd.

Oh and btw, the bass aren't quite ready up north, but the water levels are looking really good. If it would just stay warm instead of raining and snowing, it would probably turn on in about a week.
[signature]
Thanks for the rpt. on the N. stuff. Am anxious to try. Of particular interest is Glendale if you hear anything. [Smile]
Might set up my tent trailer there and just spend the rest of my life up there fishing the ponds with The Sparkintor. [:p] [laugh][laugh]
[signature]
That sounds like a great way to spend your time. It's a beautiful area. Just yesterday during my explorations I saw a golden eagle, a group of 30-40 turkeys, a bunch of deer and pheasant, all sorts of stuff. I really love it up there.

I only checked on a couple of smaller reservoirs (Johnson and Winder) as I figured they would have warmed the quickest. I was going to stop by Glendale to check out the conditions, but I was stuck behind a very slow procession of cars with a semi riding my butt. I decided that without a turning lane, I had best pass on by the turnoff. I do plan on spending more time on Glendale this year though seeing as Condie is likely dead for now (though full).
[signature]
My husband and I spent A LOT of time fishing the lakes up 12 mile canyon, if you've fished there, you know that there are A LOT of sheep (sigh) near the lakes throughout the summer/fall. Last year, there was a dead sheep lying right in the middle of one of the inlets to one of the lakes. It was disgusting. The sheep were everywhere! The sheep herder was near by, so my husband went & said something to him. He did nothing about it. So, my husband had to move it. He also sent a very lengthy letter to the DWR/DNR regarding the issue and actually got a response!!! He was informed to report cases like this. So, not sure if that helps?! It's not like you can just move a rotting cow out of the way? But, the cattle and sheep aren't wild, so I say the ranchers need to be aware?
[signature]
[quote chickscanfish2]My husband and I spent A LOT of time fishing the lakes up 12 mile canyon, if you've fished there, you know that there are A LOT of sheep (sigh) near the lakes throughout the summer/fall. Last year, there was a dead sheep lying right in the middle of one of the inlets to one of the lakes. It was disgusting. The sheep were everywhere! The sheep herder was near by, so my husband went & said something to him. He did nothing about it. So, my husband had to move it. He also sent a very lengthy letter to the DWR/DNR regarding the issue and actually got a response!!! He was informed to report cases like this. So, not sure if that helps?! It's not like you can just move a rotting cow out of the way? But, the cattle and sheep aren't wild, so I say the ranchers need to be aware?[/quote]

MMMMMM Lamb Chops! LOL I do have filtration bottles that are stream safe, but I still worry. Very cool though, being able to scoop up ice cold water and drink. I think the days of doing this without filtration are long gone. I don't think I would drink rain water without filtration.
[signature]
last year made a trip to scofeld. on the way there there was a small deer dead in the road,the truck passed over it but the boat didn't. When we got to scolfield the back of the of the boat and motor were covered with all sorts of deer parts, but a guys gotta fish so we launched anyway. went to our spot and within 10 minutes we were catching fish so fast that was on unbelievable. We soon realized that there was a lot of chum from the back of the boat and the motor, drifting down into the water. best chum I've ever seen. what a great day fishing. Didn't drink the water though.
[signature]
I did drop bu the DWR and pointed it out exactly where it was on Google map. She took the info and said that she would report it . When I asked (several times) whether it was a concern and whether it was worth reporting, never did get a reply, pro or con, just a thank you ??? [:/]
[signature]