Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening morning
My buddy and I got out and set up dark and early in the vacinity of where I heard some birds last night about roosting time. I ended up seeing two of them in a tree before the got off for the day, but they went down onto the adjoining property. Had my buddy set up in the other area I scouted yesterday. Long story short, I must just be a nice guy. He comes late last night, after I scout all day, and sees two hens, then shot a nice 8" beard 1" spur bird about 9am. I am still at it, just passed on the first bird I have actually seen on the ground today (a jake). This afternoon the wind is really howling out here in the basin. Hope tonight goes a little better.
On a side note, yesterday I had one of the craziest things happen that I have got to witness while hunting. I am sitting there watching a Jake through my binoculars, when all of the sudden from the side runs in a Tom at full speed as it jumps up and kicks him in the head, then the jake runs off with the tom in hot pursuit. I didn't see it coming out of the brush, and I'm pretty positive the Jake didn't see it coming either.
[signature]
Ended up shooting my bird this morning. Not what I hoped for, but still fun. I had a flock of about 20 birds come running towards me across a field I was set up on the edge of. Originally, I only saw about 8 and there were 2 big toms out strutting. So, they all come running over and I have the first ten birds right in front of me (all hens) with two at maybe ten feet or less from me. I was just waiting to get busted, when I finally see a red hed pop out from behind the bush blocking my view of where they are coming from. Bang.... bird down. A jake?!?! what the hell, where did he come from. And the two toms are maybe 10 yards behind him just standing there. After I shot, I stand up and they look at me for a minute, then slowly walk away with a little caution. Both were very nice birds, but I suppose this will taste just fine. Good times, and I just keep telling myself I probably would have been busted had I waited until thosse back birds got up there....
[signature]
I haven't fired a shot yet. I saw several toms the evening before the opener where we had permission to hunt, but also saw another hunter walking along the brushline calling and I knew he didn't have permission to hunt the ground. I got in and set up just at day break, shortly after I started hearing some gobbles. I started calling and they headed my way, then I heard another hunter start calling and that must have been too much as they turned and headed away from us. We went back and set up that evening in my Primos blind in the high winds and some rain, no luck.Yesterday morning clear and cold still no turkey sounds. Called it quits at 10 or so and headed back to camp, packed up and headed home until Friday when I can head back down for another try. Congrats on your hunt. We didn't see much sign of turkeys in the area we have been hunting for the past few years, very few tracks and just a few gobbles the first morning, I know there are at least two toms there someplace, just need to have it all come together.
[signature]
Congrats on your bird! I would have done the same thing.[Smile]
Now I have to rethink my game plan again.

A few years back had a group of toms comming fast though the trees, had the elk hunt mentality, "last one usually the biggest" First bird nice tom 8" beard, second tom bigger, third tom got blasted... Jake, duh!
Oh well live and learn..again, again and again.
Just when you think you have them figued out, poof! they do something new.
[signature]
I hate when other people blow the deal[mad] on public land not much you can do but private, that stinks!
Hope the weather gets better for ya next time out[Smile]
[signature]
I was really surprised at the lack of turkey sign this year in the area we hunt. We killed 3 toms there last year with over the counter tags and and I know there were at least 5 toms left, 4 jakes and 1 big tom. I left my 5th wheel in Duchesne till next weekend and my friend who lives there sent me a picture of it this morning covered with snow and still more to come the way it sounds.
[signature]
EEK![crazy] Deer hunting weather!
Should be good by the weekend. Cool but sunny[cool]
[signature]
The thing I'm a little worried about is the trailer is no longer winterized and the temp is suppose to get down in the teens by Weds. morning with not much of a warm up until Thurs. My friend who is a police officer for Duchesne county has access to the trailer and said he will set the furnace on 55 Tuesday eve and start the water heater, hopefully that should take care of any freeze problems. It would be kind of fun hunting the turkey in the snow but I think it will be melted by Sat.
[signature]
Should not be a problem. Left my trailer many times with heater set on low, ( November elk hunts). As for hunting Turks in the snow, I have done it a couple of times is kinda fun. The only proplem i had was once the sun came out and warmed up I was way over dressed. Baked in my own juices the rest of the day[laugh]
[signature]
I hope everything is OK with no frozen lines, we just bought the trailer a couple weeks ago. I was looking at some of your pictures and the one you have of Rigging in Linwood Bay is a twin to one my buddy (Smoke On The Water) took when he and I were fishing Linwood a couple years ago for the Macs in Early Oct.[fishin]
[signature]
Nothing like linwood at sunrise. The fishing that morning could have been better but scenery, perfect![cool]
[signature]