Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat motor and current temps?
Had my boat on the lake Saturday, I didn't run the motor to blow out any residual water and now the temp. is at or near freezing. Should I be worried of some cracked parts?
[signature]
I'm assuming its an outboard. If its like mine, I have to drop it down to run position for it to drain completely and then depending on how cold it got for how long. Usually low 20s like we had in Cache Valley Saturday night can be a problem, but outboards seem to drain out pretty well. If it is an inboard then its going to depend on cold time verses volume of water trapped. Larger volumes take a lot of cold to freeze, but when they do they can do a lot of damage. Good luck. J
[signature]
Yes
[signature]
It is an outboard and when I parked it I did trim the motor down to where it would be if I was running it in the water. I'm in Utah county so luckily it didn't get in the twenties, in fact, I'm not sure if we even hit 32 degrees, it was close though, but when I woke up to a little bit of snow I started worrying. I didn't even think about blowing the water out since the weather has been so good.
[signature]
If damage has occurred, how do I test it? Hook the dog ears up and run it...any abnormalities would mean theres a problem? Sorry for stating the obvious, or am I going to physically see say water coming from the block?
[signature]
Sorry, but when it happened to me it was obvious, just by looking at the lower unit, that there was something seriously wrong.
[signature]
Well I went and hooked the dog ears up to the motor and ran it last night. Everything seemed fine. Once I was done with the hose I made sure to blow the excess water out, as George W Junior said "Fool me once shame... fool me twice...we just won't be fooled"[cool]

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A[/url]
[signature]