Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Cache-Too many tags
All,

Tonight is a RAC meeting in Brigham City @ 6:00 p.m.. One of the items being discussed is to increase the LE Bull Elk tags in the South Cache.

There are already way too many elk tags being issued so a group of us is going in protest. There are just not the numbers or the quality there used to be, or the quantity the DWR thinks there is. Don't get me wrong, there are still good elk up there, but nothing like it used to be. I can remember how is was 5-10 years ago shed hunting. Lets just say there was a lot more bone to pick up then than now.

Thanks in advance if you show up.
[signature]
Hey how did the meeting go about south cache? I agree 100% with you, scouting and hunting 5 yrs ago was absolutely amazing on the cache, there is still good bulls like you say, just not what it has the potential for. I heard that the f&g wants to manage it as an opportunity hunt rather than a trophy hunt, and have the average bull taken be 3-4 yr old instead of 6-7
[signature]
You are correct the South Cache is only being managed for 3-4 year old bulls. If you look at the new ('08?) elk plan the units in the northern part of the state are being managed for young bulls/ more opportunity. The central part of the state is in the 5-6 year old range, and then in the south (the holy land) they are being managed for 7-8 year old bulls. I guess they believe only the southern part of the state is capable of growing older bulls. I believe this was an idea to try and fix the messed up point creep LE draw system we have in Utah. I personally don't like it, but I also hate the idea of only being able to draw a LE elk tag once (some cases twice) in your lifetime either.
[signature]