Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Here...Transplant from MI to PA
Great Board: Love to fish (Having been hatched in "Da Yoop") I return to my native stream every fall (Wife allowing) to fish for that elusive Fur Bearing trout! hahaha Yooper Humor!

Love to Salmon fish but not many here in PA. So I fish for Musky and Pike on the Susquehanna.
[signature]
Welcome to the site. I see you've found the fresh water boards and the Michigan board. Have you visited the PA board yet?
[signature]
Thanks and I will look at the PA Forum. Better fishing in Michigan though! this is a simple observation after being in exile for 5 years though...Today is making me homesick though....60 Deg F, Grey misty day....I love it - everyone I see here in South Central PA is dressed as if winter is still here.
[signature]
Welcome to the site Emal. sounds like some good temps there. We have been in the 30ies all morning and it finally got over the 40* mark[crazy].
[signature]
Welcome to BFT.
[signature]
Thanks and glad to be abord. Been fishing lately? Me just for some musky on the susquehanna river in S. Central PA Tied into a 25#er on a fly near wrightsville last weekend. Wish the state would restore the salmon in the Susky watershed. This is a big river and could sustain the fish...There are feeder creeks that run cold all year with good gravel. the runs of salmon peetered out 50 years ago due to mis management. They use to smolt and run to the chesapeake bay/Atlantic ocean, then return...However when the original fishladders wore out on the big dams on the river, they were not restored and so went the fish. Now they are restoring and building new fish passing facilities and it would be a good timeto reintroduce salmon
[signature]
Wow, a 25 lber on a fly, I bet that was fun. Do you catch fish that big often on a fly?
It sounds like if ever there was a time to reintroduce salmon there, now would be the time with them restoring and building new fish passing facilities.
Yea, I try and get out twice a week but it has been tough lately with all the rain and snow we have been getting, thank goodness for the comunity ponds they have here in Utah. They are mainly small planter trout and when the temps get up higher, bass and bluegill but better than no fishing.
[signature]
Always wanted to go out west fishing. I hear that utah has some great salmon fishing in the autumn.
[signature]
If you are talking about kokanee salmon, the catching is good almost all year at Flaming Gorge, it is starting right now and will continue until ice on. The only time it isn't good is when the lake is covered with ice and you can't catch them easily then because you can't cover enough area to locate them. There are kokes caught every year there in the 5 lb range but the average koke is 2.5 lb. Have you caught ocean run salmon where you live?
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Welcome to the site. There is a lot of information and a lot of opinions available on BigfishTackle. I have only been a sponsor for a short timeand have already met a lot of great guys and gals.
Good luck and enjoy the site. Ron[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Sorry to tell you Ron but I'm not new to this site, if you are trying to greet the new member you need to hit the reply button on his post not mine.
[signature]
Gez, is this what happens when you take a week off??
I know your not new and I know I need to reply to his post, or at least I used to know that!! It's hell gettin old!! ron
[signature]
No big deal, I see it happen often with new members that don't know how the site works. I bet you visit other sites that have the format where you can't reply to certain members, so going back and forth can be confusing. Hope your week off was a good one[Smile].
[signature]
I lived in Michigan and Caught the Chinook, Coho, Pink, Atlantic and Steelhead. The lakes are for lack of another word....Inland seas. My largest salmon was a Chinook at 39.5" and 40.25 pounds on an Orange Maribou C-Ducer 1/0 Limerick Upturned eye. I can give you the pattern if you want it....its awesome pattern I came up with.

I hear theat where your at the Chinooks and Cohos come up from the ocean to spawn.
[signature]
nks for the intro. I tried fishing for Stripers here in PA. got skunked - didnt really know how to fish for them. They plant allot into the lower susquehanna river that migrate to the Bay then the atlantic.. Here in PA I Flyfish for trout, and warm water species like Musky and Bass.[fishin]
[signature]
I'm not sure what a "Orange Maribou C-Ducer 1/0 Limerick Upturned eye", is but if it is some type of fly, I don't fly fish, so I would not be interested. Utah does not have any salmon other than Kokanee. Maybe you are thinking about Idaho, because they have ocean run salmon.
Have you found our Fly Fishing board yet, if not here is a link to those boards: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=69"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...orum.cgi?category=69[/url]

WH2
[signature]
I Bad, Thought that Utah also had sea run fish. But I do know that you have great hunting! bye the way thats a nice fish your holding up.
[signature]
[left]hows it going? New to the sight myself, lived in pa my hole life how is the river for the most part I stick to the creeks (boat not really good in shallow's with currant) got a great lake boat though I go to long pine res. and holman lake reg.
[/left]
[signature]
[quote emal7717]I Bad, Thought that Utah also had sea run fish. But I do know that you have great hunting! bye the way thats a nice fish your holding up.[/quote]

Thanks, that fish is a 40 inch tiger musky.
[signature]
@sportsman25: The river is in good shape this year. Saturday Im going to go over to Conowingo reservoir for some walleye. 2" shiners below a bobber near the rocks. What area of PA you in? Im South of Harrisburg. Ive been reading about the Salmon that were once in the Susquehanna River. My research indicates that the last recorded catch of a salmon in the Susquehanna was in 1951 which proves that the creeks and streams feeding the susky can sustain returning runs. One note is that the State last planted salmon from Pacific eggs in 1898 showing that for 50 years after stockings there were salmon present. At that time it was also noted that commercial gill netting in the Chesapeake Bay was uncontrolled.

Just imagine the economic impact of salmon in the Susky? It would be a great investment in the area.
[signature]