Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold fish's
got me one yesterday....[cool]
Matt

[Image: IMG_0687_zps7ba42bed.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0684_zpsc8dd3e51.jpg]
[signature]
Cool! Does Idaho have a Gold Fish record????
[signature]
thats cool, i found a gold fish pond awhile ago, and they are fun.
[signature]
not that I could find.....
Matt

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=82
[signature]
Goldfish are a breed of domesticated carp, so they would fall under the carp record. Since wild type carp grow a lot bigger than goldfish, and the carp record is something like 60 pounds, I don't think they're ever going to make it as a record.

Nice fish, though. It's always good to see someone getting carp out of the system.
[signature]
You know what people pay for KOI that big?[laugh]
There are a bunch of Gold Fish in the Carp waters of the Jordan River. Specially by the State Fair parks. Always figure that was thee resting spot for the little bag version, that never got a home.
That was nice, what about 26"/28"?
[signature]
I've seen pics of several different species of gold fish in California that were in the 20 to 30 lb. range. They were as big as any of the carp that these carp pros catch on a regular basis.
[signature]
Garden city pays well. Cooked right, I'm in!

Nice fish!

Idaho
[signature]
Curious - was it a goldfish or a koi?
I've got a garden pond and have tried both. And honestly - the simple feeder goldfish have been hardier than the Koi over winter.
Local community pond has demonstrated a presence of goldfish, and who knows what. DNR has talked about the toilet flush introduction of off-brands into Utah Lake for example.

Trust you know the Cedar Board recipe for prepping goldfish?

[inline capt.acd07ff037abd9ab9f3a761386762b80.jpeg]

This is from the Chinese gardens at the Huntington Gardens in PaSadena, CA. Some of these fish are monsters - easy over two feet long, and more.
[inline KoiPonds.jpg]
Koi are just carp bred for specific colors. The carp here are actually domesticated fish that were intentionally brought over from Europe and accidentally (and in some cases intentionally) released into the wild. That's why they exhibit so many weird colors and mutations like leather carp and mirror carp.

Carp can be gold, and goldfish can be brown. The best way to tell the difference is to look for barbels. Goldfish don't have them. If it has barbels, it's a carp.
[signature]
Thats a neat looking fish [cool]
[signature]