Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a GIANT dry fly
Who's up to the challenge?

I can't be the only person who sees this video of Sharks eating Albatross chicks floating on the surface of the water who thinks, "Huh...I wonder if I could catch one on a dry fly."

Skip to 1:50 for the action.
[signature]
I skipped over too 3:40 and notice a new specie of sharks that got wings [laugh]. We are all doomed if the sharks learn how to fly and survive while flying.
[signature]
There are people that target and catch sharks on a fly rod. http://www.flyfishmakosharks.com/flyfish.../Home.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebDwhgfpJo
[signature]
I've seen people target sharks on the fly before, but never on a dry. THAT would be something!
[signature]
[quote downed_Phly]Who's up to the challenge?

.[/quote]

uh, no thankyou. [cool]
[signature]
I frickin' love those video's.
[signature]
I've caught 3-7 foot bull sharks on orange foam and deer-hair poppers. Not really a dry "fly," but they float and sharks will take them off the top in 2-6 feet of water in the Keys! I was shown this by other Keys guides, and it's actually done quite often. Its not too hard to get them to come up and eat once you find them or chum them in.
[signature]
Yeah, but once you have caught it....do you really want to land it?!!!
[signature]
Coworker of mine was surf fishing when he lived in Florida and caught a 6' hammerhead. He says he got it to the shallows and didn't know how to land it. Another angler on the beach came over and used his gaff to land it.
[signature]
I land 'em just like I do a trout[cool]: Get 'em close, reach down and pop the fly out with my hemos, and watch 'em swim away.[shocked] Now, in the case of the sharks, I use those extra-extra long needle nose pliers to grab the fly, but its really the same, it just takes a little more force and some extra caution for a shark. I always bent down the barb on my shark flies to make for an easy release, and fairly heavy leaders let me grab the leader to "hold" the fish in place when reaching for the fly. No hands near the teeth. Of course if the fly is deep, you just cut the leader, just like a trout.

Sharks are like bears, WAY over-feared by too many people. Like bears, for the most part they don't want anything to do with humans. Hooked and/or "landed" sharks don't try to bite, they just thrash around trying to get the hook out and break free of the force of the line. Again, just like a toothy brown trout, only bigger, with teeth that can take off a hand or arm![laugh]
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim]. Again, just like a toothy brown trout, only bigger, with teeth that can take off a hand or arm![laugh][/quote]

I think that is why most don't like this idea. Still I can see what kind of a rush it would give you.
[signature]
That is why I don't like them. Fishing in Washington I have caught lots of dog fish--sharks, and the nasty buggers have cut me more than once. The pliers were shorter then!
[signature]
3:45 is the money shot.

Caught a bunch of sharks down off the South Padre islands, but couldn't get them to take any flies I was throwing. (good thing, too, because they would have shattered my rod -- but how awesome would that have been?)
[signature]
Here ya go [Wink] http://www.facebook.com/FlyMasterPage/po...32322124:0
[signature]