Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 for 3
Just got back from the basin. My friends and I had a great turkey hunt this year. One buddy shot a nice tom opening morning, I harvested my bird the second morning, but our third friend who drew out could not make it last weekend. So, we headed out after work yesterday and got camp set up in the dark. Wake up at 5:00 again, get set up and we heard easily 60-70 gobbles before they got off the roost. Then, they sure did shut up. There was at least 3 or 4 different gobblers (maybe more). Had him set up where I shot my bird and my friend who got his opening day was about 20-30 yards away watching another opening in the brush. Two nice toms came by my friend who tagged out, but didn't stop. Then a hen fed for a bit. Finally, a jake came in and stuck around long enough for my buddy to sneak over from me to the other guy spotting. Then.... it went into the brush., After calling to him on and off for 45 minutes he showed himself again, then.....BANG! Bird down, just a jake, but his first turkey in four years of hunting them. He was pretty excited. Therefore, we went three mornings, with three shots, for three guys, harvesting three birds. Sorry, no pics as my phone was dead. Not like it was a monster, but it might has well have been to him.
Good times with great people.
[signature]
Fun! I Am a little jealous. I want to turkey hunt but just not outfitted for it at this time. Congrats on a successful year.
[signature]
Thanks, this was a fun year. It was my second bird, as well as my friend who shot his opening day. And the first for our other group member. We have shot two turkey out there over three years. And this year harvested three birds in three morning hunts. A ton of fun, and a good bridge between the gap of hunting from the end of chukar seaon to the begining of archery deer and elk. That was a two month stretch that seemes forever long, now just a four month one to come[crazy].
[signature]
Sounds like a great hunt.
[signature]
Congrats to everyone!![Smile] Very fun when everybody tags out!!
[signature]
My hunt was a total bust this year, I guess I deserve a bad year after a few good ones in a row. Saw plenty of birds on Indian land but not much on the several hundred acres we can hunt. Hunters hunting there that didn't have permission. Our friend now lives about 10 miles away in Roosevelt so I think the locals know that there is no one there to keep an eye on the ground even though it is fenced and still has the old No Trespass signs up. One idiot spent Sat. Eve. walking around the woods shooting his gun every 20 minutes or so. He fired his last shot as we were packing up our decoys and ground blind as shooting hrs. had ended, he was maybe a couple hundred yards away, jumped in his truck and left. I was going to have the wife get an over the counter tag in May, but may have to reconsider. Congrats to you guys that got your toms. Time to get the Ol'Crestliner out for some walleye fishing, I'm hoping we still have an over abundance of walleye in Willard Bay that need to be thinned out[crazy]
[signature]
Sorry to hear your hunt didn't go so well, you have to love those trespassing idiots. We used to have a pretty bad time with that , you have to cross over Indian land to get to my dads property. But now at least we have the farmer who you have to pass his house leasing the land for cultivation purposes so it is under a closer watch now. And I totally agree on the Willard subject. I had a fun time out there the couple trips I made, and it's actually a little closer than starvation for me.
[signature]
To bad on your hunt[frown] Still plenty of birds around, get your wife the tag!!
As far as walleye's should still be a few, however they might taste like diesel[crazy]
[signature]
Diesel should make the fillets slide down easier and you wouldn't need to grease the skillet.[:p]
[signature]
Bummer about your hunt. Better luck next time.
[signature]
Funny![Smile]
Could give new meaning to the term "flash fried"[:p]
[signature]