Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Special Reel - A special man
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]In our continuing effort the improve the fishing opportunities for those we serve, One problem continues to plague us.Specifically, how can we assist paraplegic individuals in catching their ownfish? Being in a wheelchair is problematic enough, but having no ability to use your body from the neck downcreates a myriad of problems…..One can’t cast and certainly not retrieve a fish.I can, or one of our volunteers can cast the bait out, but reeling in the fish is not an option. With no solution in sight, we left it up to a greater power to find a solution and today one came in the form of Tommy George.[/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]Tommy is handicapped. Contacting polio in his youth left him with limited ability to use one of his arms, but this certainly didn’t slow him down as he has lived a full and complete life as an insurance executive and gifted singer and musician. His amicable spirit is admired by all that know him and when I heard that an accident had further crushed his bad arm and that now he only had one arm that was usable I worried, I could not imagine a Tommy George that could not fish, It is one of his great loves.[/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]Tommy called me last night and told me that he had something to show me. A scheduling screw up left me with an empty boat for the day and I invited him to join me on Freedoms Dream during the afternoon. After church, where he is the cantor for his parish, we met aboard the boat. His big Smile radiated as he walked down the dock. His infectious happiness lit up the bright afternoon even more. He carried one rod and a tackle box as he came aboard. His grandson Caleb accompanied him to assist if he should need it. I could see that the reel he was carrying was unusual, but I waited for an explanation.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]“I think I’ve foundthe solution for your one armed and quadriplegic kids,” He remarked. “If a one armed old man like me can fish with it….They can to.” He continued.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]“Let’s go see.” I told him as I untied the boat from the dock and we were heading out on thelake.[/font][/size]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]Before to long we were in the shallow water and Tommy cast near the bulrushes all the time explaining how the electric assisted reel works. With his one good arm, he engaged a switch that opened the bail and he cast expertly. Again he pushed the button with his good hand and the bail closed as the handle engaged. “Now we need a fish.” He stated as he rested the rod and reel against the rail.[/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]Soon we were into white bass and catfish. The specialty reel worked flawlessly. “We can design a gimble belt and shoulder harness for those who can’t hold a rod and all they will have to do it retrieve it with a touch to the control button.” Tommycontinued. [/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]He was right. We now possess a tool that will allow the most disabled of kids to fish and further enjoy the outdoors. The reels, sold and manufactured by Adaptive Fishing Equipment, are relatively expensive costing $200 each,[/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]As we move ahead with our mission we will find a way or search for a donor or two to purchase two or three of the specialties reels and make the ancillary harnesses ourselves. That greater power I mentioned before continues to guide and direct us.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]If you would like to volunteer aboard the boat or make adonation for this cause, please visit our web page: [/font][/size][url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org/"][font "Calibri"][#0000ff][size 3]http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url][font "Calibri"][size 3].[/size][/font]
Captain Steve henline]
Now that's great!
[signature]
There are truly some remarkable individuals on this forum. I received a private Email from one of your forum members who wanted to purchase one of these reels to help the quadriplegic kids who have no way to fish without one. The generosity of this fishing community is touching, even quite extraordinary. To all of you who have contacted the web page to volunteer your time and made contributions, I want to say: God bless you and watch over you! You are very special men and women.
Captain Steve Henline, Hand in Hand Outdoors
[url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org"]http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
[signature]
Steve, I sent you a few PMs regardig our discussion on this year's Utah Disabled Veterans Fishing event not sure if you're recieving them or not. Give me a holler and let me know, if you would.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Got it Todd, Its scheduled and hopefully I'll be able to keep the boat up at Strawberry for two weeks between the DAV event and the Cast for Kids event two weeks later. . In that time I can fish a lot of wounded warriors and special needs children,