Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba
Monster Pike on the fly
Enough said
[signature]
I don't know if I'd call that a monster... But a great fish none the less!
[signature]
lol.. those flies are sick nasty tho!!! tie some up in chartreuse and you will be set [Wink]
[signature]
Too bad he deleted it, would like to have seen the Monster!
[signature]
[quote TylerKunz]I don't know if I'd call that a monster... But a great fish none the less![/quote]

shame he deleted it, but your definition of a monster and his might vary differently.
[signature]
Let me start off with saying, the name brooktrout boy is also deceiving. This young man could try out for the remake of Grizzly Adams[Wink]
And while some might not have seen it as a monster, I think monster is in the eye of the beholder. It was a nice 18" to 24" maybe (again, not knowing how big he is).

But he knows what he is doing and can only get better I think. "I" think we need to copy that there fly and ROAD TRIP down there, what say you all?
[signature]
[quote kochanut][quote TylerKunz]I don't know if I'd call that a monster... But a great fish none the less![/quote]

shame he deleted it, but your definition of a monster and his might vary differently.[/quote]

Not much I guess as he deleted the pic, maybe he realized it wasn't actually a monster? Enough Said[Wink]
[signature]
I didn't want to embarrass the poor fellow... It was a great looking fish! However I didn't see a monster. I have seen some pretty large pike come from that lake. Compared to a Provo river trout, you bet that a monster! But fg is right, it's definatly in the eye of the beholder... To me the pic attached is a monster!
[signature]
There is way more to the story,
The picture of the pike I posted was around 24"
I ended up hooking into 5 ok sized pike,
I watched a 40"-48" engulf my fly, it made its run,
And I could not do anything to slow it down,
I had a reel malfunction
my 9 wt rod blew out
This is why you don't use a $30 reel
Lesson learned
[signature]
Good looking fish! I would advise against a $30 rod also[Wink]
[signature]
I'm sorry, monster or not by definition, that last shot is pretty dang cool.
I would say it blew up your rod. If the reel looks as bad, then understandable a goner.

I am guessing, on the rod, you held it high and maybe braced the rod portion with your stripping hand. If that is the case, lesson learned the hard way. Fight all fish with the butt of the rod.
Lance Egan told me he landed a couple very large carp on an O weight, but alas, even that one broke eventually..LOL Watch Lefty and see how he fights with tip down.

I am jealous, young man and thanks for reposting those flies and others.
[signature]
Very cool to have the rod explode!! As FG said never hold the rod above the cork, it adds so much pressure and load to the rod it is crazy.

Another thought, when wading as it appears you were, you can actually lean side ways and get your rod in the water. I am not sure why that works, but with really big fish it can confuse them and get them to turn around.

That looks like a really fun day!
[signature]
reel malfunction..haha! I bet the line got wraped around the reel! "fly fisherman fail!!"[:p]
[signature]
I did grab my rod when my reel failed,
This all happened in a couple seconds,
Still a very memorable moment...
[signature]
Cool fish, and I love the story! That will be one that you remember for a very long time. Too bad about the rod though.

I like your flies too.
[signature]
One of the BEST deleted posts I have read...LOL
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]One of the BEST deleted posts I have read...LOL[/quote]

This.

Those flies are solid. I'm 99% very serious about going down there this week sometime. If anyone wants to do a quick trip down there, you know, like 18 to 20 hours, give me a holler.
[signature]
Holy crap, he obliterated that thing! That sucks, but your flies sure don't. I really like those a lot. I just might have to steal your idea and see if the largemouth and tiger musky up north like them.
[signature]
ya thanks for re-posting the flies cuz I am trying to tie some copies!!! ha Those things are dirty!! Have you ever tried chartreuse? Thats what i used down there and had great luck as well!

So its not advised to brace your rod with your stripping hand? I have always done that with my 3 and 4 wt but since my 6 wt has a butt i feel no need.
[signature]
The assist hand is SO tempting, but a no.

With wear and tear a rod can get nicks and other injuries that will eventually cause it to fail.

It can happen to any of us.

This is a good article on some of the main ways rods fail.

http://www.americanangler.com/technique/busted
[signature]