Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper time at Willard?
I'm not sure what the deal is with the walleye this year at Willard but the wipers a starting to turn on. Wiperslayer and I were out there yesterday(04/26/13) and caught 6 wipers in 2 hrs of trolling. We were the first ones on the lake and started off fishing for eyes until 11:30 or 12 noon. Then we decided to try for some wipers, water temp was un to 56* by the time we left around 2pm.
Went out with Reelfast today(04/27/13) and caught 5 wipers after fishing all morning for walleye again, water temp was up to 60* by the time we decided to leave around 2pm.
With all the cold temps, I hadn't been out on the lake for almost a month. Water is clearer than it was a month ago, looks like the water level has come up a foot or so. It was good to get back on the lake again, thanks guys I enjoyed getting out there with you both.
WH2
[signature]
I got a new fly rod today that I would love to try out on wipers. Since I got a toon where would be a good start to chase them at?
[signature]
no eyes left they all went home from the baffels got a oilbath at 250 say goodbye..
[signature]
I want your "job"!

Sounds like some fun. Were you trolling the 50/50 method hitting them Wipers? I introduced the boyz to the side-planer concept, though it didn't pay off for nothing more than some twisted line - Needs me swivels!!!

Still hoping to get on the river, and see how hungry our post-spawn Walleye might be getting to be. Maybe even find some Crappie spawn spots. Things are warming up - marked off +60 temps on Cutler, so moving in the right direction (finally!)

Need to get down to Willard and try some of the bouncer techniques you taught me. Probably prove it's ME not the method... [crazy]

Hope you put on more sunscreen than I did! I'm old enough to know better!!!
Oh - clearance at the CJ bridge is maybe 6ft. Just FYI.
It is funny you should say that, while we were out fishing on Friday I saw 5 fly flyfisherman, all lined up casting at a certain areas of the lake, they were spread out over 150 yards or so but it was something I have never seen at Willard, that many FFers in one area. I'll send you a PM about the location, with over 400 view on this thread so far, I'm guessing a bunch of folks are interested in Willard right now and I see no point to sharing all the details with that many lurkers.
[signature]
[quote zman2]no eyes left they all went home from the baffels got a oilbath at 250 say goodbye..[/quote]

I understand the first part of your reply but I have no idea what,"got a oilbath at 250 say goodbye", means[:/].
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
As a matter of fact, I was using the 50/50 method yesterday but not on Friday.
I was looking at my journal yesterday and found out it was May 5 last year when we all did the "Cutler down stream float trip", looking forward to doing it again this year but trying the new section down by the dam sounds like it could be fun. Dan is headed down to Powell in a couple of weeks, so it looks like his boat is out for this years trip. I'm still working on my boat but it should be done in another week or so, I hope, then I'll have to take it out for a test run to Willard.
[signature]
I think he is implying to the cooker.
[signature]
First trip out for the Ol'Crestliner this year. Picked up a couple nice eyes but that was it, we fished from 9 until 2. We bottom bounced for the eyes. May try it again next Sat. Kind of hard to believe that Willard is over run with walleye[crazy]
[signature]
Good for you Pete, as warm as it has been I figured it would turn on sooner or later. How warm was the water temp today? I guess it could turn on and be some hot catching soon for eyes but it is starting off slow[frown].
[signature]
He is saying that all the walleyes went home with people and that they were all deep fried at 250 degrees.
[signature]
[quote Envenomation09]He is saying that all the walleyes went home with people and that they were all deep fried at 250 degrees.[/quote]

Is 250 hot enough? Isn't 350 more like a target temp?

I suck at frying. BUT - I got one of them 'lectric turkey fryers, and am hoping to improve on past efforts. Gotta get it hot enough FIRST - then flash the outside, and then reheat between batches maybe. The over-burnt bits that accumulate are a pain. But if I can do it outside, probably a good thing.
LOL, well that makes sense, I just have a hard time reading between the lines[Wink]. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I enjoy your post, where were you fishing at if I might ask. Ive been fishing the south dikes, and close to the hog farm. No luck there right now, just small crappie and a few green sunfish! Fishing between about 4pm till late night to just relax.
[signature]
Water temp was running 55 to 57 degrees. Did not show many fish on the finder. We trolled cranks for the first bit until I found a few fish, then went to the bouncers. One thing I did notice yesterday is the ol boat seems to have picked up a couple MPH, must be from the oil slick on top of the water[:p]
[signature]
Welcome to the site ifish, we were fishing just to the East of the Feed lot/hog farm. This is the time of year that people catch wipers from shore, so I would say just keep moving until you see fish at or near the surface, some are carp, some are wipers. Try casting lipless cranks, or fish with a worm below a bobber. We were catching our fish earlier in the day, seemed to shut off around 2pm.
[signature]
Good info, I will try to get there wed morning. That will be my next day with free time.
[signature]
I got to tell ya, I was hoping for better reports.... But as I am chasing turkeys this year, I am feeling better that the fish are not biting heavy yet. You watch, It will take me to the end of this month to bag a turkey.... And the best fishing of the season will see me chasing birds.... Instead of catching give of Walleye. And next year the population will crash... Typical.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I made it out to Willard this weekend to with little success. I was able to find a lot of fish on the sonar but most had lockjaw with the middle fin just a flying. Going out of town this weekend but hopefully it will pick up after that. I’m down to only two vacuum bags of walleye fillet in the freezer and my boys are hungry. [/font]
[signature]