Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard info (Oil) fishing.
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3]I am looking for Willard information. Been out of touch for a while. I have heard there was a spill of oil and this could have affected the fishing, however reports of wiper hitting are nice. Any info on the oil situation, and the affects it had on the fish. THANKS [fishin][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
The North Marina is closed and the northern half of the reservoir is closed (marked by buoys and patrolled). They are still saying that little or no diesel got into the reservoir, and they have seen no dead fish or other obvious impacts. Cleanup and repair will take until at least early June, they say.

South Marina is open.
[signature]
The north half of the lake is not closed! Talked to the ranger that was checking boaters on the lake, and he said you can boat all over, just stay outside the bouys. He told me they (bouys) were around the north marina, said there was a guy throwing small plastics 50 yds outside the bouys, down the dike to the west, and catching fish... Dan
[signature]
Welcome to the site walleye_whisper, nice user name[Smile]. Have you been having much luck with the eyes this year?
WH2
[signature]
Good to be back! fishing has started slow, but steady.

Just as long as Packfan doesn't desimate the herd....[Wink][shocked]
[signature]
I know this sounds like consiracy theorizing but I am not trusting them with exactly what they tell us. When spills occur, Big Oil is quick to put a lot of money into nat. resource departments for clean up and silence. Such chemicals are nasty, persistent, and invasive. We may not even see the damage for a year or two as it slowly seeps into the waters and into the food cycle. Even then it could be longer still before said chemicals bioaccumulate into the big predators. I wouldn't advice y'all eat frequent large meals of the fish until they're sure there are no contaminants. And even then I'd be cautious.

I have no evidence of these claims, nor am I collecting any, but I am a biologist and have seen the horrors of spills and how they're hidden from the public eye (e.g. New Orleans marshlands).
[signature]
Thanks for the correction. I was using info from the DWR website, which still says (as I type this) that the north half of the reservoir is closed. But then again, they aren't exactly working at light speed to update that page.
[signature]
It is not just the DWR website that has it wrong, there are a bunch of signs in the South marina that say the same thing, "The Northern half of the lake is closed to boat traffic". From what I understand, they are trying to keep the wave action to a min. but they can't put buoys across the whole North side of the lake, so they are just on the NE corner. I just don't understand why the did not say NE corner instead of the Norhern half of the lake[:/].
[signature]
It would be difficult to change the printed signs every time there's a minor change, but you'd hope they'd keep the website up to speed.

On the topic of closure duration, I see in the news that the pipeline failed a pressure test. If that means they'll have to do more extensive repairs or replace the line, it could mean we'll lose an entire season of access.
[signature]
I was hoping to take my kayak out this year up there. Im definitely not putting in at the south marinara and paddling yo the other side.
[signature]
thanks for the reply. I would hate to loose willard fishing due to a lack of bad luck on the pipe line. keep the updates coming thanks..FNC
[signature]
Some really good places are on the north end of the lake. With my recent surgery I do not know if I could paddle that far.
[signature]
at this time is the north marina open?
[fishin]
[signature]
No, Bouys are across the north end this morning....
[signature]