Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MY FIRST SUCKER ON A FLY ROD!!!
While spending all my free time on the Jordan river I've been trying to catch carp or suckers and looks like the suckers gave up too say hello too me. Caught one on a peach egg patter and a chartreuse woolly bugger. They bother were in 20-22" class. [:p]

Water level is rising up pretty fast. Went too my big carplet hole and dang it deep. Lets hope some kitties and maybe some walleye will want to play with me.

Hope someone on here doesn't start crying because I caught one on a fly rod ha ha ha.[sly]

[inline fgdf.jpg]
[inline "sucker egg.jpg"]
[inline "SUCKER !!!.JPG"]

[inline aaa.jpg]
[signature]
I'm sorry but I just don't see the appeal of catching those disgusting fish on purpose? The last thing I would want to do is target a sucker in the Jordan river... What's the appeal?
[signature]
I think any tug is appealing[Smile] Even those little 2" ones, specially when that is what you are targeting.
Suckers feel like trying to reel in a brick. The pull is awesome till you see what is at the other end[laugh]
But, if you are a C&R fisher, it is all good.[cool]
[signature]
I'm on the fence here but I have never actually caught one intentionally. I caught a big old sucker on the Weber last year, it was great until I saw what it was. Then again, I would like to catch a huge 22"+ carp on my fly rod. I think that would be a lot of fun again until I see what I have at my feet.

I'm surprised that a sucker would take a woolly bugger, i thought the loved small midge type patterns.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I think any tug is appealing[Smile] Even those little 2" ones, specially when that is what you are targeting.
Suckers feel like trying to reel in a brick. The pull is awesome till you see what is at the other end[laugh]
But, if you are a C&R fisher, it is all good.[cool][/quote] makes sense... I know how it feels to get that craving for a fix! I just remember I hooked one on the Provo and it just sank like a log. Nothing compared to a carp on the fly[Wink]
[signature]
Ya it was interesting reeling that brick in. Complete dead weight that doesn't like to get close what so ever.
[signature]
I have one Q how do they see your flys? The water is so muddy? I fished the jorden last week for city's cought like30 or so on worms the bass should be coming on in the next few weeks but I would understand a wooly cuz I cought some on them but egg patterns that are so small dang dude
[signature]
I was using a pretty big egg. I can't think what the size number is but it's not like those small spawning egg patterns you usually fish with.

Are you talking about white bass or smallies/largies bass because white bass should be coming out pretty soon with the warm weather that we will be getting in the 80's by next week.
[signature]
[quote LOVBASS117]I have one Q how do they see your flys? The water is so muddy? I fished the jorden last week for city's cought like30 or so on worms the bass should be coming on in the next few weeks but I would understand a wooly cuz I cought some on them but egg patterns that are so small dang dude[/quote]

That is what makes Fly Fishing so fun and challenging. It is sight only. No smell, no taste. So got to have an appealing fly. A little flash can sometimes help this,
If FFL is using an egg the size of the one I gave him it will be a #8.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]
Hope someone on here doesn't start crying because I caught one on a fly rod ha ha ha.[sly]
[/quote]

But seriously, how soon after you took the worm hook out and replaced it with a fly did you take the picture?

(and p.s., just about everyone here has caught a carp and/or a sucker on a fly. I promise, you're not special.) (special ed? Likely.)
[signature]
The egg pattern that you gave me just came apart after a few days of trying to use it. I used one of my buddies egg pattern that he made.
[signature]
Whatever works[Wink] Here is something to try, on hatchery fish, try a TAN egg or glow bug....very close to pellets I am told[Wink] All I know is it works almost anywhere[Smile]
[signature]
Sounds good. I just hope I will have more time to slay more suckers and carp. Lately school is ending soon so here come the painful parts..... FINALS!!! [Wink]

Might have too learn more about carps on a fly rod one day next to you on the Jordan river. Student in session... [cool]
[signature]
This was an unexpected appearance. In my sarcastic voice.
[signature]
Kind of a tough call as to who actually gets the last posting rights[Smile] But Mod is back from killer trip, I am sure he will figure it out diplomatically. [cool]
[signature]
since you obviously can not take the advice that was given to you in a PM and ignore people that like to screw with you for no other reason than to piss you off, this is your last warning. a post like that will get you banned from this board for over a month.

And dont thin im singling you out, TBD also got a PM
[signature]
This is rough. As soon as I start to recover from that wicked 3rd degree burn, I get a nasty-gram from a mod.

Woe is me.
[signature]
Who would have thought that a sucker thread ended up like this? [laugh]
[signature]
What do you expect I [#FF0080]can sucker [/#FF0080]people pretty good into post.

[font "Fixedsys"][#4040FF][size 7]Ha ha ha[/size][/#4040FF][/font] !
[signature]
sucker "PUNCHED"[Smile]
[signature]