Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua getting going.....
Went to Mantua, and while it looks like it still has some warming up to do, I managed a surprisingly heavy basket of VERY nice bluegills.

They were very shallow, hanging out in the sun warmed water. It was very clear and shallow and I had to be super sneaky. They were spooky fish, and my best catching happened when clouds rolled through. Action quit when a little front with cold and wind showed up. I lost several bobbers in the trees. Hard fishing, fighting tangles and all, but productive.

Took home 22 gills a good step up from average size in Mantua, solid 9" fish made up more than half the take. Took home one small bass, and let two bigger bass swim away.

Might be hard to reproduce what I was doing today, but it's heating up nicely up there.
[signature]
sounds like a productive trip. Well done I'd say. So they're bedding up already? Did you happen to get a water temp?

Floating or bank tangling? just curious.

Thanks for the report. maybe I'll go get me a fly entry!
Nice! I've been wondering how Mantua was doing, it seemed like it should be turning on. Now I know [Smile]
[signature]
Congrats on a successful trip man. When I've read your "skunk" reports in the past, I definitely can identify and I feel your pain. Were you just using crawlers under a bobber or a jig tipped with bait under a bobber? Out of curiosity, what is the average size gill from Mantua?
[signature]
Water seemed cold to the touch, but no temp taken, sorry. Colder than bluegills like, I mean, but the open lake was colder.

I was in a kayak, but never got deeper than 3' or so, and not much further than 50 yds from the bank. Caught my first from the bank. I always take waders or kayak up there. Ya gotta get right up in the weeds and under the trees for em, until it gets really hot in the summer.

I saw no scooped out beds, but they were mostly in areas near where there will be beds. Very shallow, right up in the cattails and weeds.

I used jigs, and just a hook with garden worms. Didn't like my little ice jigs they usually do, and a fly behind a bobber got ignored.

I usually catch nice gills up there, and start filling the basket about 7.5 " and up. Honest 9"-ers are usually in the bag if I bring home a mess, but those will be the big ones for the day. This time most of them were up in that range, so kinda nice.
[signature]
I've only fished once at Mantua and didn't have much luck. I need to take some of the scouts fishing to complete their merit badge. None of them have fished before and I would like to try to have them get into some. Where is the best place to fish for the bluegill. We will be out in the evening on the shore, no access for boats or canoes. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
[signature]
I would think your best bet from shore would be to drive around either the N or S road, and walk out to the knoll. Try to find rocky pockets between the trees and brush. Probably a bobber with a worm, or a curly tail jig, maybe even try an ice jig. It'll be like 2-5 ft, but you can probably see em sitting on beds, or near - find the pockets between weeds. Just not sure how many weeds there are yet.

If you need one of TD's maps, but ask. I can dig one up later. I think the bass get first dibs, then the bluegill move in later.

Ok, so I just got another report that there's Crappie at Mantua??? Anyone have an experience with that? Crawdads too? Snails a plenty I've seen.
Kinda hard to fish without wading or a boat. The shore is thick with cattails and willow trees, and that's where the fish are now. Bare legged wading SHOULD be ok this time of year, but swimmer's itch does exist in that water, so, risky.

Along the south and east shores there are places you can approach the water, but you'll be casting up under trees; a bit of a trick for first timers, but can be taught/done.

I'd come along and act as guide, but I have 10-12 hour shifts until Wed, next week.

You can also take the road around to the north east corner, and there should be some approaches from there. The shore around the point should work. It's a good time up there, just not easy to find a place to stand all the time.
[signature]
I got to agree with Coyote as soon as you pull off the freeway and are driving down that little road to the lake the road will T turning either left or right.

Turn Left ( turning right takes you to the boat launch ) Turning left will take you down by a few houses and a gun range keep following the road, it will soon turn into a dirt road keep on the dirt road and it will take you to a parking lot with bathrooms. Park there

From the trail walk to your left from the parking area
the trail will loop around and maybe 1/8 of mile there a few areas to walk down and fish from the shore.

Around the trees there always schools of gills and a few LMB's Ive always had good sucess with just a worm and bobber combo for the gills.

Good Luck
[signature]