Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balanced Peacock Damsel
This is a damsel variation that I have been tying. This weighted "balanced" version is based on the technique used in Phil Rowley's Balanced Leech.

The fly uses a jig hook and a bead on a pin head.. It is great wind drifted under an indicator or fished slow on a floating line. I like it tied on a regular hook also with just a bead head. Something about peacock..... gotta love the stuff.

This one I tied with a red bead. I haven't tried this red version yet.
[inline BalPeaDam.jpg]
[signature]
I have been using the off set bead for a few years
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforu...ad;#282472

I think that is what got me interested in tying the small Jig hooks with Haresears, Princes, Copper Johns, etc
[signature]
Where is a good place on-line that has a assortment of those hooks? I have been trying to find them but can't find any collarless heads that are in the 18-14 sizes.
[signature]
I get mine at Roger's at Portneuf River Outfitters in Pocatello or Jimmy's All Season in Idaho Falls, but, I think I got some at Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fly-Tying...QgodkgoAag
[signature]
Thanks for the help. I have seen the ones on Cabelas website. Pretty much the only ones I have been able to find. I am looking for the 1/64, 1/80, but in smaller hooks. Size 10 seems to be the size. Unfortunately your other 2 references don't have much for on-line sales.
[signature]
The last package I bought might have been Fish Tech. They are more like a #12 which is my favorite size in most nymphs. Try giving them a call.

The other choice however, is the off set idea. Hook of choice, straight pin and a bead.
[signature]
If you want a blank jig hook, to use with a straight pin and bead of your choice, then just search for jig hook at places like Cabela's . Most are larger though, so you can try bending your own or just using a down-eyed hook.
[signature]
Thanks for the help..Not sure if I want to bend a hook but it may be my only option.
[signature]
It will weaken it if it doesn't break it. How small you talking and what fly?
[signature]
I figured that breaking them would be a high probability so I don't want to bend them. Looking for 14-18, tying mainly scud patterns. May try Hares and PTs which I like in the sizes 14-18. And I like the damsel idea in which I would do in the10 -12.
[signature]
Please forgive me if you already know, but a drop bead is to put a Bead (tungsten is really nice) on a straight pin. This way you can do an over sized bead if you want to.
Cut the straight pin so that is is shorter than the shank of the preferred hook.
Down eye hooks are best choice.
You attach the bead on the straight pin onto the top of the hook extending the eye of the hook slightly. Then build the fly.
The purpose of this is to help the hook to float horizontal, BUT, it is also like dumbbells, it will make the fly float upside down.
If you think about this, you could also do this on an up or down eye scud hook[Smile]
[signature]
Two questions on this post in general...

First.. is it okay to strip the material off some old jig head flies I have and use those hooks.. and

second.. what are the tyiing instructions on the "balanced" fly originally posted?
[signature]
Sure you could

Here you go
http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp...ticleID=59
[signature]
that is a very interesting way to tie your own jig head. I just might have to give it a try
[signature]