Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dermestid beetles
Hey guys, if any of you are interested in having something cleaned by beetles, I started a colony at work and have enough beetles now to clean an average deer skullin under 24 hours. Here is some pics of some stuff ive cleaned, these things fascinate me. I am cleaning and reconstructing some entire skeletons for a research lab. Can anyone guess what these skulls are from? Some should be pretty easy.
[signature]
Hope you don't keep them near where you sleep, would suck if they escaped and had you for dinner. Hope I can call you this fall.
[signature]
That is a clean job on them. I hope to have something for you in the future.
[signature]
Good to know. I hope to have something that needs cleaned up come fall.

Do you know if the beetles clean a deer skull with the velvet on and not ruin it? I would love to have a european mount in velvet. I tried one several years ago. I froze the skull for a year then let the bugs have at it in the yard. The velvet didn't look too bad, but I guess the UV rays were hard on the skull because it was very brittle and ended up falling apart on me.
[signature]
The beetles will clean the velvet right off unfortunately...[:/]
[signature]
I drop an animal off and pick it up, whatever happens in between is left to the professionals lol. Do you have any pics of the beetles in action?
[signature]