Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do I love my wife????
How much do I love my Wife????? She just told me to order my new Classic Accessories Kenai Pontoon boat, OH HELL YEAH I LOVE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I wish it was a Scadden, but this is all we can afford.
[signature]
Please, do yourself a favor and read the reviews
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=sear...66&bih=643

Sometimes, saving a little money is not a good thing. There are better deals out there, but always, look for the reviews.
[signature]
Consider yourself very lucky. My wife has told me we're going to Idaho Falls to pick up a new damn Clackacraft.[shocked] Oh ya, we can afford that. And need it too. Like a hole in the head. I'd be more than happy to buy her a Scadden or two instead. There's still time.
[signature]
Ok, I'm getting it for $229.00 with free shipping right to my house from Wally World. That is a substantial savings. There are 2 as in two reviews for this boat. Both are 1's on Cabela's site but 1 is from someone in Brazil that say's Excelent, very good excelent, so I am going to assume that is 1 at 1 and 1 at a 5, the post is below To get the Scadden I want would take 3 to 4 years saving, I don't have a friend that make and supply's boats for free advertising. I'm just a Retired Army First Sergeant trying to enjoy what life I have left, my tube is great but I'm tired of sitting in the water and I want to fish from a pontoon in this lifetime. Thanks for the advice though. I respect you opinion and knowledge as you have been doing this a lot longer than me.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/321818/k...eviews.htm
[signature]
It would be nice to get a boat comp. but in the real world that doesn't happen does it.
Good luck with your purchase. You will only need Hip waders in a pontoon which is nice. If you end up deflating the pontoons, remember to roll them rather than fold them[Wink]
[signature]
You know how people buy a house and their friends buy them house warming presents?

Well I thought it would be great to give "boat warming" presents to you my new BFT fishing friend.

Come to the yard sale on Wednesday evening and I'll give you a dozen flies to go with your new boat. Think of it as my way of saying thanks for your service to our country.

If you can't make the yard sale swing by my house sometime and I'll give you the same flies.
[signature]
If you go to his profile, you will see, you might need to MAIL him that boat warming.
[signature]
Thanks for the offer, I have never been fly fishing, I wouldn't know where to start although I saw a bunch of people fishing the streams in upper Westchester and Putnam Counties here in New York on Saturday, and some out on the reservoirs in the rented row boats NYC provides. I prefer Canopus Lake, it is a former NYC reservoir that has a nice fish population and low fishing pressure. Most people don't want to rent boats to get out where the fish are or hike around to the north shore.

http://nysparks.com/parks/133/details.aspx
[signature]
I don't know anything about this particular product, good or bad, though Classic boats are not particularly known for quality.

One or very few reviews is not enough, and actual reviews are more likely to be made by gripers or those with poor experiences. I always read review and try to sort out the subjective, focusing on facts if any are any in the write up. Here are some guidelines for spotting fake reviews:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248982/bu..._fake.html

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]Please, do yourself a favor and read the reviews
[url "https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=-ZQcYvSPvD8xY9B0BK59SQ&cp=34&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=classic+accessories+kenai+pontoon+boat+review&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=+Classic+Accessories+Kenai+Pontoon&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.cGE&fp=4cf297af409ca886&biw=1366&bih=643"]https://www.google.com/...biw=1366&bih=643[/url]

Sometimes, saving a little money is not a good thing. There are better deals out there, but always, look for the reviews.[/quote]
[signature]
I am already aware of how to sort out reviews, but great article. I also agree that LACK of reviews is also a red flag in my book. Generally seeing several stars is a good thing , and not too many a cause to look deeper.
I do find reviews on pontoons to be pretty accurate. You get what you pay for in my book, but no it does not have to be a fortune.
I have heard of this boat and biggest complaint was the seat, but, I am not going to rain on O.P's gift. I say, good luck and enjoy.
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you have a limited budget but still want to be able to enjoy the float and fish world then that Kenai should provide a decent ride for at least a couple of years of "average" use. It is comparable to a few other craft that sell for more but are really not worth more. In other words, a good buy for those who have not recently won the lottery and who have unlimited dollars to spend.

It is made in China, for the "price" market. The bladders are vinyl...not urethane...but they will hold up if you pay attention to not overinflating and proper storage when not in use.

The best part of the deal is that you can get to know the real issues of tubing and tooning and will be better able to make a more informed decision when and if your finances improve. Also, unless you trash your toy you can always recover a fair amount of the original investment when you are ready to upgrade and sell it to someone else who is where you are today.

Until recently, Classic has not been very reliable in warranty or backup. But I have heard more good stories lately.

Go for it. Enjoy it whenever you can. Just be sure that you don't do anything that will cause a problem for a craft with some shortcuts on quality.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]If you have a limited budget but still want to be able to enjoy the float and fish world then that Kenai should provide a decent ride for at least a couple of years of "average" use. It is comparable to a few other craft that sell for more but are really not worth more. [b]In other words, a good buy for those who have not recently won the lottery and who have unlimited dollars to spend.

It is made in China, for the "price" market. The bladders are vinyl...not urethane...but they will hold up if you pay attention to not overinflating and proper storage when not in use.

The best part of the deal is that you can get to know the real issues of tubing and tooning and will be better able to make a more informed decision when and if your finances improve. Also, unless you trash your toy you can always recover a fair amount of the original investment when you are ready to upgrade and sell it to someone else who is where you are today.

Until recently, Classic has not been very reliable in warranty or backup. But I have heard more good stories lately.

Go for it. Enjoy it whenever you can. Just be sure that you don't do anything that will cause a problem for a craft with some shortcuts on quality.
[/b][/#0000FF][/quote]

You do realize there are pontoons in between the breaking the piggy bank open and lottery winner[Smile]

I am sure he will get great enjoyment out of this and as I said, the main complaint just being the seat, easy fix.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I am already aware of how to sort out reviews, but great article. I also agree that LACK of reviews is also a red flag in my book. Generally seeing several stars is a good thing , and not too many a cause to look deeper.
I do find reviews on pontoons to be pretty accurate. You get what you pay for in my book, but no it does not have to be a fortune.
I have heard of this boat and biggest complaint was the seat, but, I am not going to rain on O.P's gift. I say, good luck and enjoy.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with your comments about reviews, FG.

Mostly if you pay less, you get less. But it is possible to pay MORE for a name, and still get LESS, is what I have found.

My preference is to get the best bang for the buck as possible for my particular application. That is what I have found with the Creek Co. ODC light vs. the Trinity, for example. Creek Co products are good, but not the highest quality available, IMHO. I got 3 of the ODCs for the price of one Trinity with the advantages of no turn around on repairs,easily interchangable parts, low cost packing of a spare, easier customization to my needs, cheap replace vs. having to baby an expensive etc. All have performed flawlessly for a few years with the only a couple of easily repair seat bladder leaks.

FWIW, anyway...

Pon
[signature]
[quote pontoonman][quote flygoddess]I am already aware of how to sort out reviews, but great article. I also agree that LACK of reviews is also a red flag in my book. Generally seeing several stars is a good thing , and not too many a cause to look deeper.
I have heard of this boat and biggest complaint was the seat, but, I am not going to rain on O.P's gift. I say, good luck and enjoy.[/quote]

Mostly if you pay less, you get less. But it is possible to pay MORE for a name, and still get LESS, is what I have found.

My preference is to get the best bang for the buck as possible for my particular application. That is what I have found with the Creek Co. ODC light vs. the Trinity, for example. Creek Co products are good, but not the highest quality available, IMHO. I got 3 of the ODCs for the price of one Trinity with the advantages of no turn around on repairs,easily interchangable parts, low cost packing of a spare, easier customization to my needs, cheap replace vs. having to baby an expensive etc. All have performed flawlessly for a few years with the only a couple of easily repair seat bladder leaks.

FWIW, anyway...

Pon[/quote]

You believe that? I had my Cardiac Canyon for 11 years. No repairs what so ever. Bucks Bag, first pontoon so we are talking 20 years, no leaks still floating no rips.... A friend has the Trinity and has had for 6 yrs or better, no repairs.
Higher price does mean better material. Urethane, last longer and is more durable than Vinyl. PVC cover stronger than nylon. Welded seams stronger than sewn. Not to mention lighter
[signature]
I bought two Classic Accessories Trout Unlimited pontoons back in 2008. No leaks, no issues to date. I float lazy rivers and small lakes close to home so the travel wear and tear is non-existent over the past 7 years. If something happens, I'll probably feel that I got my money's worth - especially since I have an immediate back-up for having purchased two for the price of one back then. Don't know what my buddy will do though - probably will have to buy his own toon at last.

Good luck and tight bladders!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote pontoonman][quote flygoddess]I am already aware of how to sort out reviews, but great article. I also agree that LACK of reviews is also a red flag in my book. Generally seeing several stars is a good thing , and not too many a cause to look deeper.

FWIW, anyway...

Pon[/quote]

You believe that? I had my Cardiac Canyon for 11 years. No repairs what so ever. Bucks Bag, first pontoon so we are talking 20 years, no leaks still floating no rips.... A friend has the Trinity and has had for 6 yrs or better, no repairs.
Higher price does mean better material. Urethane, last longer and is more durable than Vinyl. PVC cover stronger than nylon. Welded seams stronger than sewn. Not to mention lighter[/quote]

I can absorb theft/vandal/damage loss of $100 ( vs. losing a $1000 baby) as I have quick spare $100 backups for redundancy/parts -no waiting. I need to keep an constant lock/ eye/sitter/insurance on $1000 baby when transporting by vehicle/airline for damage. Better material is not immune to defects and I would be without until sorted out since I could only buy ONE . I have not seen anything even close to the price of the 8# 420 L of new/old/existing material or design which is lighter ....

Pon
[signature]
I can absorb loss, it is called insurance. I would not own any boat without insurance.
And as I said, I don't worry about repairs. See, there are several layers to make up the upper MID priced NFO boats, one of them is Kevlar. Plus most NFO boats have LIFETIME warranty, not 5 years.
I use mine way more than most as well so good quality is not an option.
I put a client or friend in one of my boats, I feel a lot better about their safety, let alone a family member.

" I have not seen anything even close to the price of the 8# 420 L of new/old/existing material or design which is lighter .... "

That 8 lbs is cool. I do have the new Predator on order though. It is 8' long and 5' wide with a weight of 12lbs and welded seams. See bladderless is just lighter all the way around.

And I say NFO are mid price ans that is exactly what they are. There are more expensive pontoons out there such as the USA made Outcast or Bucks, or Steelheader.
[signature]
Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut. Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to create such a furrer here, I'll keep it to myself from now on.
[signature]
Don't worry about the banter between everyone. Its normal around here. Everyone that has a toon has an opinion on their favorite and they have to pass it along to others. I think you will really enjoy your new ride. If you notice I am using toons manufactured back in the mid 90's and I am not going to change any time soon. They give me grief every now and then as well. Again enjoy your ride.[cool]
[signature]
I apologize to you. I knew it was heading south. I just had to emphasize, own the best you can afford as it is out in the middle of a lake, therefore I raised the read the reviews.
But to say the upper end boats just are not worth the money is not true, and kind of implying that those that do buy them are not thinking right.
Enjoy and I am done here
[signature]