Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wicked day on The J.R.
I won't bore you with pictures, etc. but I decided to hit the Jordan right by the prison. Wow, best day I've ever had for carp. There were billions of them and they were all getting their schwerve on. The water is still low, so you can see hundreds of them when they're in the shallow riffles. Yellow glo-bugs, damselfly nymphs, and a plain old, non-weighted black wooly bugger were the ticket. I also got to knock another species off "The List" after I caught a decent channel cat on the bugger. Then I caught another, then another, and then another. At first I thought it was just lucky, but then I figured 'em out. Who knew? They loooove the black wooly bugger, but only if it is being twitched as it's heading downstream.

The Sad news of the day? As I was getting ready, a gust of wind slammed my car door... My baby, my love, my hearts desire -- my glass Fenwick -- deader than hell. Not just the tip, but just about a foot above the cork. Oh man, I am so Sad.
[signature]
Nice job! On the fish anyway. Sorry about ol' Fenny.
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]
The Sad news of the day? As I was getting ready, a gust of wind slammed my car door... My baby, my love, my hearts desire -- my glass Fenwick -- deader than hell. Not just the tip, but just about a foot above the cork. Oh man, I am so Sad.[/quote]

Ugh that exact same thing happened to me three weeks ago. I feel your pain. Hopefully the ill feelings were tempered by the great day of fishing.
[signature]
'Twas a Sad day, indeed, and the fishing helped -- a little. Good news though, I happened into an antique shop about a week ago and found almost the same rod, still in it's original packaging (damn near 30 years old!) for $35.00. I would have bought it on the spot if I wasn't poor as sin, or fearful of Mrs. Trout's wrath. I think I'll be heading down there this weekend to scoop it up. (if it's still there, that is)
[signature]
Good luck.
[signature]
[#0000FF]If the only break was a foot above the cork the rod may be salvaged with an internal splice...without doing anything more than a slight stiffening of the lower section.

Bring it by and I'll have a looksee.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Specially Glass. Great option Dave
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have also been able to satisfactorily mend a few graphites...one that was a pricey custom made rod with a lot of sentimental value. First cast after the fix produced a 24" cut from da Berry. Happy camper.

As you know, a lot depends on the original action and feel of the rod. Sometimes a splice...even in the lower part of the rod...can completely alter the sweetness.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]I won't bore you with pictures.....[/quote]

How does that sang go, "a picture is worth a thousand words." If anything I am bored reading all the text you wrote[Image: bobwink.gif].

Please, post em if ya got um!

Anyway, nice to hear you got some fish, let alone a Channel Catfish on the fly. Always wanted to make that happen.....you give me hope (only a little bit though)[Image: bobwink.gif]

Were there any you could enter into the fly comp? FYI you must post up those pics to get points within something like 2 weeks (although I will have to check with TDT on that so don't quote me on that).

Thanks for the post TBD, and as always, I am looking forward to more!
[signature]
Ya I got bored as well. I was scrolling up, down, right, and left too see any pictures but it just looks like he got skunked that day. Just wanted to post random words that came out of his mouth slowly like usually.

You know what ETDT. I'm totally jealous he caught a catfish............ Could you tell how sarcastic I was ha ha ha ha ha ha ha[laugh]

I got a buddy of mine that are making me some jumbo san juan worms so I can try to catch a kitty at my new spot. Let's see how it goes next week if the worms are made. I'm pretty sure my kitty will be bigger then his imaginary kitty caught. [laugh]
[signature]
[quote EvilTyeDyeTwin]

How does that sang go, "a picture is worth a thousand words." If anything I am bored reading all the text you wrote[.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/bobwink.gif[/img]."]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...m/bobwink.gif[/img].[/url]

Please, post em if ya got um!

[/quote]
Ask, and ye shall receive.

[Image: IMG-20130515-00019_zps80319082.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00012_zpsc3ea610f.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00013_zps85396b4a.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00014_zps13cb9757.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00021_zps4a9a83a6.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00023_zps2f3d2824.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00024_zps39fb0dd3.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00025_zps4e46ffec.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00026_zpsd06548a9.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00027_zps5c6b2dab.jpg]

What the crap are those things all over their fins -- nasty!

[Image: IMG-20130515-00028_zps10e56e1f.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00029_zpsc3600580.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00015_zps289d4cdc.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00016_zps86bfc240.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00017_zps8f9aa35d.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130515-00018_zpsf4aa2bb8.jpg]

And please don't judge the rod -- thankfully I had that old dog in my truck (I use it when I'm trolling deep -- lake powell or the gorge), because I freaking broke my baby... Sad.

Quote:
Were there any you could enter into the fly comp? FYI you must post up those pics to get points within something like 2 weeks (although I will have to check with TDT on that so don't quote me on that).

Thanks for the post TBD, and as always, I am looking forward to more!

I forgot to bring a tape measure. I was fairly bent, but no worries -- there are plenty of fish, and plenty of time to slay them again.

And while I'm here...

Dear FFL,

[#0000ff]..........[/#0000ff]

Love,

TBD
[signature]
That last carp almost looks like a Grass....is it?
[signature]
I've never caught a grassy, so I don't know -- I doubt it though, as nothing caught my attention. The color differences between all of the fish was amazing. Some of them were blacker than Toby's butt hole, and some were Golden T's.
[signature]
Yea, that is there habitat. Just looked like the nose was more pointed on those Carp but I caught some yesterday that looked like that and, no they were not grass.
[signature]