Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 wt on the spring creek
With all the rain and snow flying plus runoff peaking wasn't sure if it was worth fishing today. Decided to hit a spring creek I haven't fished in almost a year. Since the fish seldom go beyond about 15-16 inches there I brought along the 2 wt rod.
The weather couldn't make up it's mind between a bit of rain, hail and sun each. Fishing was steady. Thought I had something big once but just a 14 inch bow that got foul hooked. Nice to do some sight fishing and be reminded how spooky trout can be in clear water. Have yet to run into another person fishing here even though it's less than a half mile hike from the road. My lab mix got to swim below the little falls after it gave up a handful of fish. Don't worry all the fish in the photos were part of my limit and are soaking in brine and going on the smoker in the morning[Wink]. Well except that little brown and he was swimming again in less than 15 seconds after he hit the fly.
[signature]
TENKARA!!!!![Smile]
[signature]
That looks like some awesome water I have still yet to get my 2wt on some fish, looks like I need to get out and get some action on it, that bow must have been pretty fun [cool]
[signature]
I just enjoy casting too much to bother with a Tenkara rod. Reminds me I was using the Wulff Triangle Taper line you recommended for my 5 ft 2 wt rod I was having trouble casting much distance. The 5 ft rod now casts 30 ft with ease. Thanks for the recommendation. Never had trouble casting the 7 ft rod I used yesterday but that line worked well in the wind on it as well.
[signature]
The Tenkara is all about casting[Smile] Just takes a few minutes to figure out what to do with the stripping hand.[Wink]
[signature]
I thought I had a 17-18 inch trout on with that bow. We have plenty of waters where a 2 wt is all you need. City Creek, Mill Creek, The Cottonwoods, Am. Fork not to mention small creeks in the Uintas that will be opening up soon. Break out the 2 wt and give some of them a try. I have a 1 wt rod being built and can't wait to try out. I'll have at least 1 rod from 1-9 wt so my collection will be complete and I'll never buy another for a couple decades [laugh].
[signature]
What about getting a 0 or a 00 rod? That'd be one hell of a time!!
[signature]
Very nice Paul, looks like a great day!
[signature]
One one 4, 5 and 6! I couldn't do it[Smile]
[signature]
[quote TroutMan93]What about getting a 0 or a 00 rod? That'd be one hell of a time!![/quote]
I don't think I need a 0 or 00 wt rod or a 10 wt or above rod anytime soon but you never know. Many of my rods get use from relatives on fishing trips even if I don't use them all myself typically. I'll bring the fly rods and my brother in law will bring the spinning rods.
[signature]
[quote riverdog][quote TroutMan93]What about getting a 0 or a 00 rod? That'd be one hell of a time!![/quote]
I don't think I need a 0 or 00 wt rod or a 10 wt or above rod anytime soon but you never know. Many of my rods get use from relatives on fishing trips even if I don't use them all myself typically. I'll bring the fly rods and my brother in law will bring the spinning rods.[/quote]

Do you swap?[Smile]
[signature]
We swap all the time. Works out well as 2 of his sons love all fishing and have become descent with a fly rod. Now if only I could say the same about my skills with a spinning rod. I can fake it when I have a big open lake or ocean to cast into though[sly].
[signature]
I know I would be a spaz trying to cast a spinning.
[signature]
Thanks for the post. Nothing like catching a rainbow---Awesome fighters. Beautiful fish. With a 2 wt. must have felt like a whale.
[signature]