Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mohave 5/17-19
wolfs4ever already did a dang good report on one of the same days I fished Mohave! lol but I figure I'll give my report anyways Smile

We left for Mohave Friday afternoon, setting up camp about 7 miles down from Cottonwood, 4x4ing 2 miles down through a wash until we were beached. Like wolfs4ever posted, there was no lack of snakes lol we saw a very sizable rattler near camp, a long snake on the water with black and white horizontal stripes, and a gopher snake (just looked it up)--lots of fun to camp with lol

Unfortunately, we only documented the second day with pictures. We spent that day moving southward along the western bank. What we discovered is that the west is most productive for bass in coves and the east bank is almost exclusively productive in deeper water--all of the coves on the east side were emptied from the tournament fished on the 18th, so many empty beds.

Along the west side we caught a lot of bedding smallies, still very active, at the mouth of coves. In the back are all of the largemouth, and TONS of catfish cruising under roots systems and logs.

The east side was a real upset. Hundreds and hundreds of carp packed into the backs of each cove, mixed in were some really nice bass--but, I think bass take caution-queues from the carp, and needless to say, every time we'd cast a lure they'd throw up silt and the bass would hide deep in the tulies. We caught a few smallmouth on the east side on rip baits and drop shots, but not many.

At night we chummed and caught some really nice channel cats. All in all, a really great trip Smile
[signature]
Nice bass man, those cats are healthy too. Thanks for posting. I'd like to camp down there sometime... minus the snakes, haha.
[signature]
I'd say the cats are almost worth a trip in themselves--We took a spotlight out around midnight and lit up the points to see what was going on, we saw a few 15lb - 20lb monsters cruising boldly with dozens of other 5lb-10lb cats, I couldn't believe it. Reminded me of boating Utah lake at night. We only spent about an hour out there, fishing those long flats and then headed in after the wind started picking up. But yeah, I forgot how much fun it is to throw out bait, make food by the fire, drink beers, play guitar, and unexpectedly hear that distinctive "ZZZZZZ!", look over to see your rod bent into a C [Wink] all this talk has me itching for another trip!! You should definitely plan a trip, I always forget how close it is--I'd say Mohave is, hands down, the best recreational lake in Southern Nevada. Clean, beautiful, wild, secluded
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip! I will never launch out of the south end of Mohave again. It was fun and something different to do... I wanted to cruise to the north end and even up into the river but just didn't want to burn that much gas plus I figured since I launched south I am going to stay south and put in as much time as possible exploring the place and learning it since I was there.

The snakes don't thrill me at all though... I care less about them (I have litterally caught, killed, etc 100s and 100s of rattlesnakes as a kid growing up in Montana waaay back when) but with my daughter with me... She is Blonde and has always lived in a "big" city. Enough said. lol I don't see any shore side camping in my future down there.

Cats... Don't care for them but they sure do put one one heck of a fight! That 6 pounder that grabbed my 3XD crank a month ago was one heck of a show! Best fight I have had on Lake Mead to date on a crank.
[signature]