Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mormon Reservoir or Thorn Creek Reservoir?
Anyone here ever make an attempt at Mormon Creek Reservoir or Thorn Creek Reservoir, near Fairfield? Was in that neck of the woods this past weekend and have driven by it numerous times. But never have tried wetting a line.
[signature]
Mormon used to be an incredible fishery but the cattlemans association owns it(I think) and they didn't want to put any money into it to keep the weeds from taking over (according to fish and game) so you cant even get back to the springs anymore. Ten years ago we regularly pulled 5-6 pounders out of the springs. Fish and game still stocks it a little in the spring time and there's gotta be some decent carryovers in t.
Thorncreek is stocked every year but gets too hot and mossy in the summer so there doesn't appear to be much carryover fish.
[signature]
Mormon used to have some good perch fishing. Ron
[signature]
We used to drive into the springs at Morman from bliss and fish out of a lil bitty boat, the rainbows were amazing. My dad liked thorn creek, but I never have caught anything but stringy moss. Good luck!
[signature]
Two 'used to' replies. Not good.
[signature]
[quote 1idahoguy]Two 'used to' replies. Not good.[/quote]

Make that 3. I agree with the used to comments. I remember catching many a rainbow in the 20-25 inch range out over the springs. It was a great fishery. I was very Sad to see it go.
Mormon was my favorite as well. It was crazy good fly fishing. But that was a long time ago. Looking back through some pictures my last really good day there was in like 96 ?? Bigger fish than Camas, more consistant than Magic.. and just a damn good time. Its Sad that it went down the way it did and it could be fixed without a lot of effort.
[signature]
I remember my neighbors would bring home perch that were 14" and I mean a lot of them. They got to still be there but I don't know about size. Ron
[signature]
Kali and I stopped at the little bar in Hill City last spring after a trip to Magic, and was told by two locals that the guys in the neighborhood were pulling out some monster-sized fish from Mormon. I don't know any more, but was tempted to try it. There has to be some lunkers in there. Def. at the springs. If you try it, PM me. Mike
[signature]
I tried to get into Mormon about a month ago. The bridge was out crossing the culvert below the dam. I didn't feel like carrying my float tube in the whopping 150 yards to the boat ramp and went to Magic. Looking back on that day I should have walked in. I read that F&G is forcasting similar fates for both Mormon and Thorn Creek as Little Camas unfortunatly. The lower elevations just did not get enough water.
[signature]
Either last year or the year before One of my fishin' buddies caught two out of Mormon that were over 5# each.
That area is a great place to find Arrow-heads, thats fer sure..
[signature]
Finding arrowheads is actually not legal these days. For reallys
[signature]
Either is drinking and driving, but you know . . . .
[signature]