Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom's Dream
[#0000FF]Spent the morning yesterday visiting with Steve Henline on his boat Freedom's Dream. In case any of you have missed Steve's posts, he has put together a special large pontoon craft especially for challenged children and disabled vets...capable of loading and handling wheelchairs, etc.

As one who has always been a softie for kids...healthy or otherwise...I was drawn in. And I have also had a bit of experience in helping with physically challenged anglers. I am particularly passionate about our vets and helping them to be able to enjoy the things they have fought for us to be able to enjoy.

It didn't take long to soak up the dedication and commitment Steve has for making his boat available to any and all who can take advantage of it. It was also quickly apparent that he has drained his personal resources in the process of getting his boat built and on the water. He often has to make some magic to scare up enough cash to refill the two big 100 gallon fuel tanks on the boat. And that boat drinks fuel at a rapid rate.

Before I retired, much of my business career was involved with helping businesses grow and develop. I have managed to remember a few of the things I learned along the way and offered some suggestions and ideas to captain Steve. We mutually decided that I could probably help him in his initial growth process...to help get more corporate sponsors and some additional contributions from a variety of sources.

My personal belief is that there are probably a lot of folks out there...individual and corporate...who would really like to get behind Steve's program. They just need to know more about it. He got a good publicity boost last week when Adam Eakle and Tonya devoted a portion of their Utah Lake fishing program to Steve's program. For those who missed it on KSL I have attached the utube video.

In the meantime, I am going through my half-vast arsenal of semi-unused fishing gear to download to Steve and his passengers. He especially needs heavier spinning rods and reels. Most of what he has received are suitable for smaller fish but not for big ol' cats or carp. He also needs volunteers to help with larger groups.

And, if any fellow BFTers have connections with companies that might look kindly upon the program...and throw some money and support that way...you can refer them to the website at:
http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org/

If you want to contact Steve directly, for any additional information or discussion of how to become involved:
[/#0000FF]henlinesteve@yahoo.com
[signature]
Steve is doing a wonderful thing. I can kinda relate to what handicapped folks deal with 'cause my youngest brother was run over and paralyzed below the waist. Until one has first hand experience helping folks in that condition even access the waters edge to fish from shore, they can't begin to appreciate the hassle they have to deal with. Getting into and out of a boat that can't accommodate a wheelchair is almost not worth the hassle. I gotta give Steve the biggest of compliments for what he's doing. The guy has to have a heart bigger than Alaska.

God bless you and your efforts Steve!

I'm betting He'd appreciate even a $1.00 contribution. If everyone on this site gives him a little, he can really make a BIG difference for some that don't have it as good as we do.
[signature]
Thanks for your post. It's on my list of things I was meaning to do. Just moved to get a donation in today. Hopefully this will remind others who haven't quite got around to it to donate as well. A few bucks from everyone would sure go a long way.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. I know Steve appreciates anything and everything that others do to show support.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
This is where the "guilt" comes in. I work hard, play hard, and feel I earn every bit of recreation I can get myself into. But while I'm out on my tube on an alpine lake I often ponder on just what I would do to satisfy my obsession if I were handicapped. How would I get to these places and not be a burden to others? How would I rig my equipment if I only had one hand? It's a sobering thought and I give a big 'ole hats-off to Steve and others who care enough to make sure those disabled folks are able to enjoy the things I take for granted.
I really need to help in any way I can, monitarily or otherwise.
Just looked at the bank account. Otherwise.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Your heart is in the right place...even if your finances aren't. No apologies necessary. A lot of us are in a position where there is limited "net spendable" and nobody expects a family man to take food off the table just to make a cash contribution...to any cause.

And, while Steve has a specific program going, for larger groups, there is nothing that prevents any of us from seeking out someone in need...on a one to one basis.

In the past I have taken both kids and older folks out for a day of fishing...just me and them. There are lots of old timers in vet centers and nursing homes that are former anglers with limitations. A lot of them can still operate fishing tackle but have lost hope of ever being on the water again. It costs little to get them down to a community pond to catch a few planted trout or cats. And these guys...and challenged kids...care not how big the fish are...or what species. Heck, some of them are so happy to get out that they don't even care if they catch a fish.

I'm supposed to be a big tough old bird but I can still get tears in my eyes when I remember one old guy I took on a few close-in trips. I would pick him up at the assisted living center and drive to a spot on the deep water channel...near Sacramento. I'd set the guy up in a comfy chair at water's edge and hand him a rigged rod. He would do his own baiting, casting, hook-setting and reeling in the fish. He used to be a fly-fishing purist but he got plenty of enjoys out of fishing for small cats and other species.

We didn't really talk much while fishing. Didn't have to talk to communicate. And his big Smile and body language said it all about whether or not he liked being behind a fishing rod again. It was Sad to see his shoulders sag and his resigned shuffle as I took him back "home" after a trip.

He really got to depend on me taking him out at least a couple of times a month. Any thoughts I might have had about making excuses not to go were quickly dissolved when I would think of the enjoyment he got from our trips. In fact, when he took a turn for the worst and couldn't go any more I was the one who felt cheated. And when I heard that he had "gone fishing" to that big pond in the sky it was as if I had lost a family member.

My wife and I have participated in the DWR youth angling program in the past too. That is another way that folks can contribute of their time and talents without having to compromise their own finances. And the value given to our kids and future anglers is unmeasurable.

It broke my heart to hear the same stories over and over...from the kids who came through the program. "I want to learn how to fish but my dad doesn't know how and won't teach me." Also common were kids from single parent families, in which the breadwinner parent simply did not have the time or resources to take their kids fishing. There are plenty of those in every neighborhood, without having to go to any kind of agency to find a young fishing buddy.

Hey Dave, sorry about the long reply. Just wanted to remind other folks that money alone is not the complete solution to being able to help. Yes, Steve needs monetary assistance for his program. But his passion is about helping diSadvantaged or physically challenged folks to enjoy fishing. I am sure he would approve of someone making an individual effort outside of his program.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That's a great reply. But now if only you were still a moderator you could have rigged it to have those that click on this thread donate $10[shocked]. That'd would have raised several thousand dollars by now and not many of us can't get along with chipping in that amount. Not to discourage people from giving in other than monetary ways as well.
[signature]
If a hundred anglers from this forum took the time to find a hundred individuals described by tube dude, and took them fishing for a 1/2 day. then 200 would be richer in their life's.
Although we are busy with what we do. We might be able to act as a reference resource to locate and identify those individuals, veterans and others with disabilities.
There are many and now there will be more with the opening of the new Veterans Home in Payson that would love to go. Obviously not all are in wheelchairs. These veterans who served our country with honor and valor just need a hand.
Think about this and I believe Hand in Hand Outdoors can act as a facilitator.
Thank all of you that have taken the time to respond to Tube Dude. He is indeed, quite eloquent as well as caring. Steve