Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice / fishing report. Mantua
I decided to hit mantua this morning. Figured since its sunday I would have the lake all to myself.

Well, much to my surprise, I arrived and 90% of the lake was iced over. The ice around the immediate edge was 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick for about five feet, and then it was about 1/4 inch thick the rest of the way out.

The majority of the lake was iced over, but there were a few open patches.

I found one open area close enough to shore to cast to the open water so I gave it a try.

I threw spoons since I needed the weight to get out there, and had to pop the lure up on top of the ice to get it back to me to cast again.

No takers. My guides kept freezing up on me, and ice formed on my line. It was cold.

Its kind of odd, since mantua is not usually one of the early freezers. If we continue to get some cold nights mantua may be fishable by next weekend as well.

I did test the ice. It was crystal clear and it flexed under the weight while I walked on it, but I didnt break through. If I had tried to drill a hole, I bet it would have cracked like mad and I would have gone in. But I was only in two feet of water.
[signature]
thanks for the report predator looks like theres hope for ice fishing schofield next friday
[signature]