Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on Landing a big fish
[font "Arial"][size 2]Landing a big fish requires more than putting a bend in your rod.

Most anglers lose truly big fish before they even realize the size of what they had on the line. Weak line, improper drag settings, and poor hooksets are most often to blame. But when a behemoth stays connected, the real challenge starts. If you can stop your knees from knocking, the following tricks will stack the odds of the fight in your favor. Learn them now, so you can send us a picture of your trophy later.

Pump It Up

The pump-and-reel technique is the foundation for landing all big fish. Here’s how to do it properly: When the fish runs, let it take line off your reel via a slipping drag. The instant it stops, pull back on the rod to a near-vertical position, then lower the rod and simultaneously reel up whatever line you’ve gained. Stop reeling, bring the rod back again, and repeat.

Do it smoothly. Lowering the rod quickly can produce momentary slack in the line, allowing the hook to come loose. Also, don’t reel while the drag is slipping, which achieves nothing and causes line twist on spinning reels. If a fish rushes toward you, reel furiously until the line comes tight. If it dives under the boat, stick your rod tip in the water to be sure the line clears the hull and lower unit.

By applying constant, steady pressure, you can subdue even the most stubborn fighters. However, if you’re not gaining line or moving the fish, you’re not only in for an endless battle, but you also increase the chance that the hook will wear a large hole in the fish’s mouth and pull out, or the line will break in frayed or weakened spots, or a bigger predator will snatch your prize. That’s when you employ the following tactic.

Changing the Angles

Most fighting is done with the rod tip held vertically. But by turning your body slightly to the right or left, and lowering the rod so that it is parallel or nearly parallel to the water, you can actually steer fish, especially when they’re at shallow or intermediate depths.

A fish that is headed straight away from you, for example, can be induced to move left or right if you lower the rod tip from an upright to a level position, thus changing the angle of pressure. A fish that is moving to your left around the back of a boat can be forced to change direction and come back to your right if you hold the rod horizontally to your right.

You can also use a boat to change angles. To bring a large, strong fish up from deep water, loosen the reel drag, maintain rod pressure, and motor far enough away from the fish to change the line angle from 90 degrees to 30 degrees or less. Then readjust your drag tension and use overhead and sideways pressure to bring up your trophy. Now unhook the fish and go looking for another fight[/size][/font][size 2][/size]
[signature]
that is probably the best step by step instruction of landing that monster fish I have ever read.

well done.....[cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Thanks, It works, if you can remember to do it. I find it hard to remember sometime when I get a big fish on.[/size][/font]
[signature]
lol, dont we all,

especialy when it jumps 3 feet in to mid air!!!![blush]
[signature]
[size 2]You forgot to mention throw a couple grenades! If that fish gives you to much trouble throw 2-3 grenades in a circular pattern around fish and then after explosion pick up remaining pieces of your fish and enjoy.[/size]

[size 2] Might want to bring some super glue in case it's a trophy size![/size]
[signature]

Hi there byrumjr,

Nice set of general techniques. It always helps to be reminded. Problem is..... yesterday I didn't remember them all. 5 very good calicos gone 'off the hook' no breakoffs. I've been lucky enough to fish for many, many species of fish and various types of tackle.

What's really interesting is that each species has it's own set of special quirks and behavior so that sometimes you gotta have about ten rules. Lefty Kretch developed the 'side swing' in flyfishing for tarpon as well as the 'bend at the knees and point the rod tip to the fish' technique. Those techniques are now being used in all types of fishing. Light tackle fishing has again an lot of additional rules that may contradict some rules,

Whatever works! is what I think. Thanks for the reminder.

JapanRon
[signature]