Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiper help
I've never successfully fished at willard. What are some pointers. I am heading there Saturday morning in my yak. Any info would be great, baits, lures, spots.[bobdumb]
[signature]
I can re give some great advise that was given to me,you want a shiny lure (silver) not sure the name of the lure that old coot used but I have had success with a Yo-Zuri crystal minnow, on sale at Sportsmans for about 7 bucks. Take the line out about 200 feet and troll around 3mph.

Good Luck
[signature]
One question I have about Willard/Wipers is there a time of day they like best? Morning better than night, mid day any good?
[signature]
My highest catch rates have been morning from first light to around noon and then again in the evening from 5:00 till last light.
[signature]
I'll comment about the 200 feet of line out. That's probably true with an oil-belching noisemaker like an outboard or even a whining electric.

But from a silent 'yak, you need only drop back 50 to 75 feet. I've trolled past wipers close enough that I could see them and didn't cause them to bolt, especially if they were on the upsun side of me. And when I've gone another 50 feet - wham!

White twister tails jigs, silver shad pattern cranks, lipless cranks, spinners or even light spoons will all work fine - if the fish are in the mood.
[signature]
Boat,Boat & BOAT !![fishin] Ive walked many miles with nothing except some old man exercise and a loss of gear....Was out there today and couldnt belive how low the lake is.. Not sure why [crazy] i still keep going back..The definition of insanity is, Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.. Welcome to my WORLD..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT !