Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua structure
We've started fishing Mantua lately from a boat we recently bought and don't have sonar yet. The shoreline is mostly vegetation as far as i can tell. But what kind of structure or cover does it have and max/avg depth? We are not having much luck yet.

anyone care to share?
[signature]
I was out there last Saturday fished mostly the So. East and rear of the lake. Not real deep I think the deepest water my sonar hit was about 30 feet but averaged more like 15 feet. Fishing was slow for most of the day didn't see too many other people picking up fish either but seemed like the bite turned on in the evening around 6 or 7 pm. Picked up 4 bows and a handful of gills. With the warmer weather coming Im thinking the LMB's will be more likely to play.
[signature]
Not a lot of structure to speak of in that lake. As the weeds get taller, you can fish the holes in between the weeds. the deepest I have ever found in that lake around 22' or so. It is a very productive lake once you learn how to fish it.
[signature]
[quote timberhall]Not a lot of structure to speak of in that lake. As the weeds get taller, you can fish the holes in between the weeds. the deepest I have ever found in that lake around 22' or so. It is a very productive lake once you learn how to fish it.[/quote]

Yeah, i didn't think there would be much down there. Catching a handful of grass on almost every cast. Aside from Willard, Mantua is the closest bass fishery to me so we will be up there trying to outsmart the bass this summer. Thanks for sharing, it is encouraging.
[signature]
21' or 22' is the deepest you'll find in Mantua. Very little structure (besides the grass)
Fish holes in the grass to find the fish.
[signature]
What about pineview? Pineview is better for bass than mantua IMO.
[signature]
I dunno - kinda depends on what you define as "structure". May not have the kinds of drops and ledges - as say Pineview, but you have deeper water - yeah 20-25 at best. But you've got edges of the weeds making walls. The fish hide in the weeds, and if you fish along those edges - they'll come out and pounce passing baits. But then you've also got the shallow area, especially during spring spawn. Some woody, some weedy, some rocky.

Not a good lake for trolling, no doubt. But pitching curly tails, tubes, even spinners and cranks. Sometimes straight vertical jigging is it. Have found pockets of gill beds just south of the swim area, or across to the east side - working up from the knoll northwards - but real shallow - between the rocky edge and the weeds - bass and gill beds.

Tend to find more of the trout in the middle area - in the deeper areas, or dropoffs.

Have heard rumor of dredging a path of weeds across the middle, for the skiiers. Then there's also the mystery of the underwater ski course.
[quote Jordanporritt]What about pineview? Pineview is better for bass than mantua IMO.[/quote]

We only have an electric trolling motor on the boat currently. The size of Mantua allows us to fish the whole reservoir without worry of the battery dying, ending up stranded far from shore. Plus, it doesn't go very fast. However, we do plan on hitting PV to try our luck on the bass and TM there.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]I dunno - kinda depends on what you define as "structure". May not have the kinds of drops and ledges - as say Pineview, but you have deeper water - yeah 20-25 at best. But you've got edges of the weeds making walls. The fish hide in the weeds, and if you fish along those edges - they'll come out and pounce passing baits. But then you've also got the shallow area, especially during spring spawn. Some woody, some weedy, some rocky.

Not a good lake for trolling, no doubt. But pitching curly tails, tubes, even spinners and cranks. Sometimes straight vertical jigging is it. Have found pockets of gill beds just south of the swim area, or across to the east side - working up from the knoll northwards - but real shallow - between the rocky edge and the weeds - bass and gill beds.

Tend to find more of the trout in the middle area - in the deeper areas, or dropoffs.

Have heard rumor of dredging a path of weeds across the middle, for the skiiers. Then there's also the mystery of the underwater ski course.[/quote]

Funny you mentioned trolling. The only fish we(my brother) caught was when trolling. Got a bass and rainbow on a perch rapala crank. The bass was very much a surprise.

Thanks for the grass tactics. I was wondering what works. I've done well dropshotting in the past, might try that a bit more
[signature]