Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan river
caught about 20 channel cats today between 2-5#s a couple over 5 including this fat mama.
[Image: 20130525_184434.jpg]
[Image: 20130525_184457.jpg]
lost my cat contest paper somewhere, it was 28" 12#s
black cat
[Image: 20130525_192219.jpg]
[Image: 20130525_192232.jpg]
some deer
[Image: 20130525_201535.jpg]
[signature]
Snap, son -- that is one flabby cat. What was your bait of choice, may I inquire?
[signature]
fresh sucker meat[Smile]
[signature]
Nice man. What time did you go?

Last Saturday we caught 6 cats from 3-6lbs from 10pm - 2am on the Jordan, but I've gone the past 2 nights at the same time and have gotten skunked both times.
[signature]
that was about 5 pm till dark. I like going during the day cuz I do lots of walking and only stay at a hole for a few minutes. night fishing is good but it's harder to walk around, and if they aren't there, you won't catch very many, or any. I have had awesome times at night then nothing the next time just all depends. Some people have their one “secret“ spot they go to every time but I like to find new places all the time, and have found many more other “spots“[Smile]
[signature]
Wow 20 is pretty darn good. My spots must be in a drought as you say, or last week just flat out sucked. I was using sucker meat and carp meat with my 2 pole permit and when I'd get a bite it wasn't even good enough to hook them. Maybe I need to find some more spots farther south. I went walking today and pretty much wasted my time but at least now I know a mile-2 or 3 mile stretch that is totally garbage so I won't have to ponder what's up there anymore. that area sucks and doesn't have any good holes. All it was is Carp Land and the deepest spot were only like waste deep. Oh and there was a dead chicken in the water lol.
[signature]
I didn't know you could use sucker. Can you use bullhead?
[signature]
[quote BigEZ]

I didn't know you could use sucker. Can you use bullhead?

[/quote]

No
[signature]
any clues as to where you were fishing? a starting point would be nice, my buddy and i really want to get into some fish in the jordan but i feel as though we fish the wrong spots every time.
[signature]
I wasn't fishing.
[signature]
try around the pump house, and just keep walking around and you will find some[Smile]
[signature]
I wanted to cry...I went today and was fighting one for 10 mins, almost had him to shore but then he swam so fast into something submerged and hot me snagged. I was hoping he'd swim out of it but instead he snapped the line without me doing anything Sad. On a positive I think I caught my first female channel cat. Aren't they kind of orangish? Photo ended up like crap thou and it wasn't big but still cool.
[signature]
Females have fat bodies and smaller heads . Males have big heads and skinnier bodies. Yours looks like a male the color doesn't matter.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Sorry about your losing the biggun. But that is what fishing is all about. You gotta lose a few bigguns to make good fishing stories...and to keep you excited about going back.

The fish in the pic is definitely a female.
[inline "FEMALE AND MALE.jpg"]

[/#0000ff][signature]
I don't know why the picture ended up looking like garbage but I've only seen 1 other one look like this. It was different enough when out of the water you could tell it wasn't a mud cat but when it was in the water it looked like a huge mud cat. If the color doesn't mean female is a just a genetic variation or why would cat fish from the same spot be different colors?
[signature]
Yeah man it makes me so mad. There was really strong rapids pooring into the pool and he was using them to his full advantage. I don't know how stupid it'd be but next time if that happens I'm going swim through a stagnet but deep area at the end of the hole to get on the other side of the river to try to unsnag him. I just hope he lives cause not only does he have a hook stuck in him, he has my line with sinkers stuck unless he manages to break it.

Last night was a blast though. I caught my first sucker that came even close to challenging the one from 2 years ago. Last night this dude was 26 Inches. I caught a catfish on another pole about 15 feet away and was letting it go when the sucker bit so had that my pole fell in the water and I had to walk in to go get it. Would have probably kept it for bait but beasts get to live. Didn't have a ruler but put it up to my pole.

First picture is the huge one 2 years ago and the second one was from last night. This Sunday or after work on thursday me and that catfish have unfinished business Wink.
[signature]
"If the color doesn't mean female is a just a genetic variation or why would cat fish from the same spot be different colors?"

[#0000FF]The longer you fish...for many species...in many waters...over a full year's time...the more you will come to realize that color alone is not the best way to make a positive ID for species or gender.

I have caught cats all over the country and in some waters both male and female are almost uniformly black color...or bluish...or cream colored. Water chemistry, diet, water depth and clarity...all can influence how fish color up.

I am attaching a couple of pics...of a spawning male and a spawning female...both from Utah Lake. The spawning female has a dark head and looks almost like a spawning male except for the smaller mouth and lips. But the males almost always have the bigger heads, narrower bodies and big lips.

There can be great color variations among all species. And spawning is something that triggers radical color changes...sometimes in both male and female...but usually more pronounced in the males.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=CatchinCompany"]CatchinCompany[/url] - So is Coyote gonna let you count that 28"? We could use some over 25" for the South
[signature]
I doubt it, the rules are pretty simple and I didn't have everything I needed for it.
I do plan on getting 3 over 30 anyways so no worry[Wink]
[signature]
Well based on the track record I wouldn't doubt that you probably will. 30" is the goal for me this summer, so I'm out about every weekend around Willow Park and the Pump-house - might run into you one of these times. Good luck bro
[signature]