Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First wipers
3rd trip after wipers, finally connected with a couple, I was shocked at the fight they can give I really thought I hooked mobydick for a while there. I only got 2 but i was surprised that they were only about 15"in long. They felt like a 20" or better fish.

Sorry for no pics, I know without pics its just another fish story. But honest I did finally get a couple and would have had pics to show ,but alas I put my camera in my backpack on the bottom of my 12ft PortaBote,and after two swampings from the power squad my camera didn't survive.

Yes I went early before the speed monkeys woke up, but didn't catch a darn thing until it was zoom time. I think I could have caught more but at that point I was forced to go into survival mode and get the heck off the water.

Was a little bittersweet victory, I was excited to catch a couple wipers, Yet disgusted in my fellow man, Yep I was stupid I should have noticed the other small fishing boats left during the calm before the storm.

Take care and good fishing!
[signature]
Congrats on the wipers, but sorry about the experience. The only thing alot of those guys are worried about running into is someone who can give em a ticket. Paint that little boat orange and they would still pretend you werent there. But if the bug got in ya Im sure you'll brave the man made swells again....[fishin]
[signature]
You bet I will brave the squadron again. Im thinking of going more mid week rather than weekend.
Im wondering if they feed at night?
[signature]
I get out during the summer months at night and it can be a hoot. Careful though, there's still idiots at night, and they're not just pretending not seeing you. Pull dark colors at night, they contrast better for the fish to see. Some of my better nights have been in front of the south marina when the lights are on. Good luck! [fishon]
[signature]
Thanks, point taken on not pretending, I figured being a predator they must feed at night, I can think of very few fish I havent caught at night,
The wipers had been munching crawdads, I think I can figure a way to get a couple more wipers using crawfish too.
Thank you for your input
1sthound
[signature]