Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard Bay
So what is everyones opnion on the walleyes at willard this year. I haven't had any luck this year been 4 times and been skunked each time. Seems to me the opening of the mouth has affected the quality of the walleye fishing here and i for one hope they don't allow it again next year. I have tried everything that worked last year and no such luck. Maybe just bad days but i haven't noticed the walleyes biting over the island with crawler harness as of yet
[signature]
I think it's more a matter of the warm/cold/warm/cold weather we've had this Spring. While there were a lot of walleye seen being taken at the inlet, it wasn't a tiny fraction of the total numbers in there. One successful spawning female would replace all those taken, remember.
[signature]
Make one of the RAC meetings this fall and see if we can get the Inlet closed to fishing during the spawn, it will take more than a few off us pissed off walleye guys to show up, we will need a bunch of us to attend. Kentofnsl has posted the scheduled RAC dates and places at the top. We have only picked up a few eyes there but I have had some friends that knocked them dead several times this spring just depends on the conditions. Good luck to ya, and hang in there, the bite should get better and more consistant in the comming days. [fishin]
[signature]
Probably right just thought after last year after spending a lot of time on that lake that i was beginning to become a better fisherman and im now having a hard time accepting it was smoke and mirrors lol I keep hearing of people having a productive time out there and i just haven't been able to find the cooperating fish.
[signature]
They are being caught but not in the numbers we caught last year, it has been a slow start this year.
[signature]
There are less Walleye this year Goose. It is a fact, anyone could observe it, thousands were snagged with the opening of the inlet. No sugar coat here. All part of a greater plan to make the lake primarily a wiper lake.

With the reduction of the walleye, the wipers that the state have started to learn to successfully produce will have less competition for food/shad.

The fact is, that wipers are easier to catch most of the time. With bank anglers and newbies to the walleye fishing having a hard time taking many walleyes from shore, the same is not true of wipers.

Wipers are more aggressive and don't seem to be nearly as finicky about taking the hook.

It is about creating opportunity for those who have limited means and skills at the expense of those who prefer walleye.

There are still walleye, but taking a limit has been more time intensive than last year due to scattered pockets of walleye. Shallow water hasn't helped either.

Voice your opinion to close the inlet for next year if you want to see any improvement.

AllFish
[signature]
There are more walleye in willard this year than the last few years. Cant believe the age classes ive come up with so far. Just because there were a ton piled up on the island last year (a well known spot that was marked with a bouy) doesnt mean theyre not still around. The amount of fish taken out of the inlet didnt even put a dent in the overall population of the lake. The inlet doesnt even account for small a percentage of the spawning age fish. There were probably more walleye taken off the island over a month last year than the inlet even had in it. The walleye bite spoiled alot of folks last year. All I can say is welcome to walleye fishing, and willard bay.

The state is going foward with plans to improve walleye fishing in the state, which includes stocking. They are even looking at sauger and sterile walleye. The fish are there, change your tactics and forget last year. The bite is actually back to more classic willard than the past couple of years.The catch rate will decrease when they are scattered, thats any lake and any fish. Conditions are drasticly different from last year. I have caught some on the island, and other places. Walleye are more than willing to bite if the bait is in front of them and presented correctly. Walleye arent scared of water less than 7ft, but most walleye anglers are.....[fishin]
[signature]
[quote mike4cobra] Walleye arent scared of water less than 7ft, but most walleye anglers are.....[fishin][/quote]

What a great line!
[signature]
+1[Wink]
[signature]
I have to agree. I got skunked on walleye last Saturday (1st) but the prior weekend filled my bag limit on Saturday and had the chance to fill it again on Monday (lost a couple) The fish were all in the 18 - 20 inch range and were fat and healthy. It seems to me they are not in the same places they were last year but are moving around daily. I tried to stay away from where others were fishing and this seemed to be the trick. I have to admit I'm not really good with the worm harness type fishing but that might be the ticket when the crank baits aren't working. I had a great year last year but if I can continue the average I have so far this year, it will be just as good. I have noticed the wipers I've caught this year with one exception have all been pretty small. They are definitely better fighters than walleye but don't come close in taste and don't seem to be as big of a challenge to catch. All the fish I caught this year were within a 1000 yard circle. That circle moved from Saturday to Monday about a quarter of a mile so I would say that once you find one, mark it and start working a grid pattern over that area.
[signature]
I've been out 4 times this year, and caught 4 eyes, one each trip. At least I haven't been skunked yet... Last time out (Monday) I got a second one up to the boat but lost it while netting. All were nearly the exact same size (about 18"). All were caught in different areas of the lake, and all were on crankbaits. Several hours spent bottom bouncing with spinner/crawler rigs has produced zilch for me. They do seem to be very scattered and hard to target, unlike years past when it seemed easy. Weather patterns this spring have not been conducive to a hot bite yet. Not much stability. This week and next week are looking great though! Every time I've been out seems like right after a major blow, which turns the water over and turns the fish off for a couple of days. Definitely a slow start this year, but I think it will improve soon. A select few anglers have been killing them though, which puts me and my angling skills in place...[blush]

I am a bit worried about the lack of age class I've seen, but glad to hear others have been catching smaller ones as well. I hope they are successfully spawning, and all the young'uns aren't getting eaten by their parents and the wipers. Absolutely close the inlet during the spawn! I love Willard how it is with dual targets of wiper and walleye, and hope it stays that way. The catfish, crappie, and smallmouth are a bonus. But I hope it will be managed for healthy populations of walleye and wiper.
[signature]