Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best store bought 2 person ice shack??
I have seen one at fish tech called Genz/Guide series and another one at Sports Warehouse made by Frabill. They both weigh between 60-70 lbs. Any suggestions anyone?? Does anyone own either of these?? Can't wait for safe ice!!!
[signature]
My son-in-law used to have a Frabill 2 man tent, it was real heavy, but when the wind came up it did its job, unfortunately like I said it was heavy and we don't have a snowmobile to pull them so we sold it and went with a lightweight tent that he bought from James at hooked. We liked them so much we bought another one.I couldn't tell you the brand but I am sure James can.
[signature]
Hands down, Eskimo's Quick flip 3. Enough head room to stand all the way up in, enough room between your seat and the front wall of the shack to set the hook and have no problems hitting the front wall, wide enough to seat three, but fits two like a dream! Available at sportsmans warehouse. Thats just the benefits of the eskimo over other clamshell style shelters. If you want to talk clamshells verses other styles, talk to anyone whos owned bolth, and you will figure it out.

I dont own the quick flip 3, I own HT polar lites, polar escape magnum. wich is available at smith and edwards. Its a decent shelter but its not the best of the best.

Theres some nice ones available on line, but they still dont have a chance against the quick flip 3. And of course they arent available locally.

Of course this is just my opinion, but it is based on expirience in a shantee. Room, ease of setup, and mobility are the top of the list on my priority. And for those three categories, you cant beat the eskimo quick flip three.
[signature]
Shapell 3000 and 3000 DX are the models ICEFOOL is talking of. They only weigh 42 lbs. fold up like a suitcase, have a carpet so you will not slip and room to stand up straight.
[signature]
it is pretty cheap top build your own i think yesterday or the day before there was plans posted for one i'll see
[signature]
The Shapell 3000 DX is a great shack. It is very easy to drag out onto the ice and can withstand the wind. We have used ours for about three years with no problems. There is room for two to fish in it siiting in folding chairs and keep it warm with a Mr. Heater. It has plenty of room to stand in and we have had three of us standing in it to get warm a couple of times. I found a picture of one and have attatched it.
[signature]
Another vote for the [size 1]Shapell 3000 DX. I own one and enjoy it.[/size]
[signature]
I debated for a long time about building my own shack. I finally decided that they were too heavy for me to tow out on the ice by hand.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][Image: 69037quickflip3ex_sit.gif][/size][/font][/center][center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Quick Flip III Deluxe with Bench Seat[/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I just bought an Eskimo QuickFlip III but have never used it. I went through all the motions in the store of tearing it down and putting it up to be sure it was easy. I can say this for it. Once I find the right routine, it will serve me well. I liked the head room. I liked the mobility and I liked the idea of flipping it open to the outside and closing it down if it turned ugly in a matter of seconds.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It all depends on your needs and wants, not to mention your budget. I prefer the flip up, clam shell designs over "suitcase" type shelters. I had a suitcase type before. I also like the idea of the sled being an intergal part of the design for easy, fast take down and set up. The quicker the shelter goes up and down, the more fishing and less hassle it is. I want to be as mobile as possible. There is no floor but that equates to a lot less weight to haul around plus, I'm hoping, the shelter has less of a tendency to freeze in place after a long period in the same place if there is no floor. Will slushy snow or water on the ice be a problem? Maybe.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What are you pulling it with? If you you are dragging it by your self, then weight is a premium consideration. If you have a snowmobile or ATV than it's a lot less of a factor. I've pulled big sleds by hand out to the rock pile on Bear Lake and beyond and I would not recommend it. I have a four wheeler and friends with snowmobiles so the weight issue is a lot less to me.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I also hate tiny shelters with no room to make good hook sets for fear of hitting the top of the shelter. Who likes fishing in a phone booth? Head and elbow space is a premium to me so a little tent type structure doesn't suit my needs. I also like the idea of large outer flaps so snow can be piled on them to hold a shelter in place in heavy winds. Some shelters don't have any easy way to anchor them down so you have to resort to "anchors". This has been discussed many times on this forum and it seems to me there is no easier way than piling snow on the shelters outer flaps to secure it in place. Others may have other ideas.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Look at all the factors that you have to contend with and what you desire and make your choice. I can say this, If your shelter is a hassle you won't use it and if you won't use it, why buy one? Good luck on your choice and have fun shopping for one.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I looked at the Eskimo QuickFlip III at Sportsman's today, and that is one fine looking shelter. I was extremely impressed with the amount of room inside one, both headroom, and the available area to fish while seated. The built in seat looked comfortable, and it would be great to have it attached, rather than having to carry separate chairs. The only diSadvantage that I could see was if there were water on the ice (which I have encountered on a few occasions) you won't be able to stay out of it in this shelter.
[signature]
So has anyone looked at the guide series shack at Fish Tech??
[signature]
I have the frabil speed shak XL, Which I pull by hand on a sled. Lots of room 4 holes and tall bu it is way too heavy, maybe 80 lbs. As soon as I can sell the frabil ($200.00) to someone with a four wheeler or snomobile I will get the Eskimo from Sportsmans.

fdg
[signature]
Just got done putting my Eskimo Quikflip 2 together.I think I am going to like it,but there is quite a lot of work to put it together.Can't beat the price thou,239.99.[crazy][Tongue]
[signature]
I just brought a new Eskimo Quickflip II home today. I got the hitch and cover too. With the recent warm temps I won't venture out in it yet but hope to nearly wear it out this year. I love the bench seat as I can get both 5 year olds on it with me, something that would have been impossible with bucket seats of older models. If I don't have to referee the kids and it's not so cold out I can set up a stool outside and use the shelter for a windblock. Now I just have to figure out how to prevent wearing holes in the sled. Maybe snowmobile hyfax? Old downhill skis? How have others dealt with this? Hitting some lakes near wilderness areas in spring often requires towing on dirt for long distances. Skis worked good with my pickup bed toolbox/sled used last year.

Kevin
[signature]
Fishcrazy,
Can u fit a power auger, and bucket or two in this Quick Flip 2 tent when it's folded down to pull on the ice??
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]They make replaceable runners for the sled to keep from wearing out the bottom. see [url "http://www.ardisam.com"]www.ardisam.com[/url] under ice shelter accessories.[/size][/font]
[signature]