Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willow beach 6/7/13
[cool]Hit the water at Willow beach today before gray light in the tube. Kicked upriver against very little current. Trolling an A.C. plug for most of the way to mile marker 53 for nada. Tried the L.A. slider and got a couple hits but no sticks.Then I made my first cast with Bomber long A and fish on! It felt like a 5 lber but before I could see it, snap goes the line and bye bye lure. My cursing echoed thru the canyon. I continued to kick upriver and got to mile marker 54. I tied on a Little Anthony swimbait and fish on first cast. After a short fight I had a 4.4lb striper on the stringer. I took a shore break on a nice beach and decided to cast from shore. I replaced the lost Bomber with a large jointed Redfin. Again first cast and fish on! This guy fought the same and was 4.7lbs. Got back in the water and did a slow kick back casting along the way. Between mm54 and 53 I cast out the Little Anthony and got a big hit. This fish felt bigger and as one of the big raft boats went by I netted a 7.2lber. After that there was no more action. I got back to the truck for a much needed beer. Last views from the river was a bald eagle flying by and two bighorn sheep along the road. Very little wind to start then came at 6mph. This was my best day at Willow so far.
[signature]
Man! That is so cool! I'm glad to hear you landed some that weren't caught on ac's. Those are some great pics. Especially the one of the 3 stripes on the stringer chilling in that cool clean water. I didn't hook up with a single fish down there in all of 2012! Glad to see you did well! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Awesome!
[signature]
Wow nice day out!
[signature]
Great job man! That's awesome.
[signature]
Catching stripers on the river without an AC Plug? Is that even legal LOL. My father in law was down there on thursday and fished south down to MM 47 trolling swim baits and did pretty good to. Fish are active, i think they are just burned out on the old...overused....plugs.
[signature]
That's funny those old overused plugs have been putting nothing but 20+lb fish in boats the last 3 weeks... other lures catch them baby lake fish that aren't man enough to eat an A.C. PLug...
Sounds like a bunch of haters on this site!!!
And congrats on the catch bro. Any fish on the river is a great day!!!
[signature]
2 mile up river in a tube, that's hard damn work flow or not! Excellent my friend I was excited as hell when I saw the text. Hoping I can make it out in a couple weeks, guess what I'm leaving the AC's at home and I'll bring out the rest of the arsenal, lol!
[signature]
[cool]Thanks a lot guys. I had a blast getting that far upriver. Of all the stripers that I've caught on the river, only one was on an A.C. plug and it was the one made by Optima. Granted a lot of the big guys are caught on larger plugs. I have got some over 20lbs on 6" soft swimbaits. I figure that if it swims by a fish and he is in the mood he will hit it. Can't wait to go again. Some other scenic pics.
[signature]
[quote BigE][cool]Thanks a lot guys. I had a blast getting that far upriver. Of all the stripers that I've caught on the river, only one was on an A.C. plug and it was the one made by Optima. Granted a lot of the big guys are caught on larger plugs. I have got some over 20lbs on 6" soft swimbaits. I figure that if it swims by a fish and he is in the mood he will hit it. Can't wait to go again. Some other scenic pics.[/quote]

Amen! Never could get that a 20# would only hit a 12" plug and not an 8" or smaller, hell I've witnessed you catch big ones on even smaller Slider's or Storms than a 6".
[signature]
What kind of stringer do you have the stripers on in that picture? Is it flexible they have it pulled out to its full length, or is it something solid to create a bit of distance between your and their bony fins?
[signature]
[cool]It is a long rope stringer that I got at Walmart. It has tubing between the hooks to give them a little separation. And yes it does keep them away from my tube. I carry glueless bike tire patches with me on every trip.
[signature]
Saw that NDOW report, looks like the Government is watching Bigfishtackle along with our telephone calls also, lol!
[signature]