Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report - whitefish are starting
BEAR LAKE FISHING REPORT 11/25/2003

The lake trout run at Bear Lake is over for this season, but the whitefish are already beginning to bite and the fishing action should be good for the next three weeks. The Bonneville whitefish are just starting their spawning run and can be caught along rock shoreline by casting small spinners (#0 and #1) and spoons tipped with worms or by using 1/16 to 1/8 oz. jigs fished along the bottom. With low lake levels there is not a lot of rock left in the water, however, fishing should be good along the east side at Cisco Beach. When these larger whitefish come in along the shoreline areas to spawn both cutthroat and lake trout will follow these fish in to feed on both them and their eggs. Pound for pound these whitefish fight better than trout and can run anywhere from about 1-3 pounds. They are excellent eating and don’t have the heavily developed intramuscular bones that their cousins that live in the rivers (the mountain whitefish) do. The best way to fish for them is by using light tackle with 4-6 lb. line and small lures. Cast out and let the lure hit the bottom and then fish it slowly along the bottom. Bonneville whitefish are aggressive at this time of year and with the trout being mixed with the whitefish you have the chance of catching a mixed bag of fish.

Some trout fishermen are still fishing off the rockpile area, but the pressure has been very slow this past week mainly due to high winds and very cold temperatures. Water temperature is about 37 degrees. The best bet for catching trout at this time of year is to vertical jig with tube jigs tipped with cisco or just using a piece of cisco or sucker meat fished on the bottom. Trolling can also still be productive but the trick will be to troll as slow as possible. Sometime using rapalas will work better during the colder weather since they have a more passive action, but don’t overlook the standby lures of flatfish and spoons.

Casting from shore at the State Park marina is another spot that may be worth trying. Again, with low water levels almost all of the rock is now out of the water, however, fish may still concentrate around this area.

Be advised that the Utah State Park will not be plowing the boat ramp at the marina since it is too steep for the plow. You may consider bringing some rock salt or sand just in case you cannot get your truck and boat back up a snowy or icy ramp. Earlier this week the marina froze solid, however the State Park is now running their de-icers and the boat ramp is now open. All sizes of boats can be launched from the Utah State Park marina, and lake level is slowly beginning to rise. Smaller boats may be launched off the shore at several points around the lake, however, a 4-wheeled drive vehicle is recommended and drivers should be aware of deep snow and some soft sand. The new “low water only” concrete launching ramp along South Cisco Beach has been a good spot to launch smaller boats in that area. Finally, make sure your boat is in good operating condition and keep an eye on the weather. The lake can go from calm to 4 foot waves in a matter of just a few minutes.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, I caught a nice whitefish jigging with the salsa boys on 11/15.
[signature]
Thanks Scott for the detailed report. I need to get up there -- if the wind will at least slow down a little.
[signature]
Very excellent report! Once again thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Thank you for the report and tips. I will be there all weekend (from shore)[Sad] but hope to catch my first fish from Bear Lake this year! I have come up empty handed every time out by boat in the summer and from shore this fall and early winter. But I still have fun and I will listen and abide by all the wonderful tips that I learn hear at BFT. Just hope that all my time put in does not leave me in a slump for too long!!!!
[signature]
If my turkey day plans fall thru I am going to go to the marina and throw a lure or two.