Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Depression
[Sad]I am bumming right now. The lake I was finally getting the hang of fishing has decided that I should be walking on the water rather than floating on it. We have been having a nice cold stretch here and all the major floatable waters will be iced over in the next 2 weeks if the over night temps keep being as cold as they are.

I guess I will get to learn how to ice fish this year. I've only been 2 times in my life.

Those of you in California and warmer climates, catch a few for me please!!!!

ES
[signature]
[size 2]Just hook an auger up to your tube and get a giant ice pick and your set![crazy][/size]

[size 2]I have been so busy I have not been tubing either in awhile[unsure] But day after Thanksgiving that will change[Wink][cool][/size]
[signature]
I'm sure TubeDude has a setup for augers and ice-pics[Wink]! For myself, I'll stay away from all those sharp toys by my pontoon!

What area of the country are you going to fishing?
[signature]
as much as i love tubing i am looking forward to ice fishing you be careful ice fishing utah lake the ice thickness can vary day to day if not during the day while you are out there alot of people go thru the ice there thank god you can usually walk right out
[signature]
I'm nervous enough on 18" of ice, let alone 2" or 4". Part of my problem with ice fishing is the fear of taking a swim. It's hard to relax. I think I'll be sticking to Lindon or AF to fish. That way, if I do take a swim, it'll be a quick sprint to the car and home to warm up.

We still need to get together one of these days. I'm flirting with going out tomorrow afternoon (12-3 ish).

ES
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, Nate, you are a testament to the old saying that variety is the spice of life. Look at all the new horizons you have seen in the last year or so. Why not add more ice fishing to your repertoire? [/size]

[size 2]When I lived in the chilly zone, I always had mixed feelings this time of year. It was difficult to give up the often great tubing just before iceup (me as well as the water). But, the special enjoys of ice fishing more than offset the loss of floatation. Each has it's own charms. [/size]

[size 2]I think that if you are able to hook up with some accomplished hard water fans, you will quickly pick up the basics and acquire a liking for the sport. Of course, like all kinds of fishing, it is more fun if you catch something. But, pay attention to those who would help you. Take my word for it, casting a fly at a hole in the ice is not ice fishing.[/size]

[size 2]I have had several late season trips in which I had to rock my craft against skim ice to break my way out to open water. But, I gave up on the idea of drilling/sawing a big enough hole to set my craft into when the lake was completely covered. That's the time to put away the tube and take up the auger.[/size]

[size 2]On the other hand, it ain't a bad idea to use an old tube to tow along as a combination sled for your gear and a safety ring in case of someone going through the thin ice of the early season. I have even towed a covered float tube out...using the pockets for storage and stuffing a box in the center for other goodies. If you have rod racks, so much the better.[/size]

[size 2]Break out some of those bait bugs and drop them down with a piece of worm or waxworm. If you find a school of willing biters, you will quickly become a hard water fan. There's just something about it. And, then when winter gets old, and the ice starts to break up, you can kiss and make up with your pontoon again.[/size]
[signature]
[Smile] Who am I to question the wisdom of the TD??? I'm sure I'll be out on the hard water soon (I got to see if my Cuda works in the winter). I just don't have a desire to go up on the Provo much anymore.
[signature]

Hey there EmuScud,

I'm going out on the 'Shoe' tomorrow to catch 2 to 6 pound Calico Bass on a wide open bite tomorrow. They love plastics too.

No ice here between LA and Catalina!

JapanRon
[signature]
i won't be able to make it tomorrow but i most likly will be down there monday probley a little after nine in the morn not sure where yet i'll be metting jedburton to drop off a couple poles i no longer am useing if you can make it down let me know good luck hope you find the white bass

and remember the secert to ice fishing safely is never go alone and always send your buddy out on the ice first LOL
[signature]
Not fair!!!! Catch a few for me! It is snowing here this morning, but I'm on my way to purchase some wax worms and brave the elements.

Good luck!

ES
[signature]
Good luck on Monday! one of these days our schedules will fit. I actually work about a 5 minute drive to Lindon BH. I won't be able to post my trip results until monday though (I only have internet connection here at work).

Have a great Thanksgiving!

ES
[signature]